I am writing to inform you that the statutory debt limit will be reached on December 31, 2012, and to notify you that the Treasury Department will shortly begin taking certain extraordinary measures authorized by law to temporarily postpone the date that the United States would otherwise default on its legal obligations.Short version: This letter represents an official request for Congress to please get its crap together to do something about this eminently foreseeable debt ceiling business rather than subjecting the country to yet another grinding episode of legislative incompetence. The odds of a non-incompetent approach are low, however; while Obama has been pressing for a debt ceiling solution to be part of the current "fiscal cliff" talks, or non-talks; Republicans would prefer to leave it separate so that they can engage in yet another fiscal crisis and subsequent hostage negotiation in a month or so.
These extraordinary measures, which are explained in detail in an appendix to this letter, can create approximately $200 billion in headroom under the debt limit. Under normal circumstances, that amount of headroom would last approximately two months. However, given the significant uncertainty that now exists with regard to unresolved tax and spending policies for 2013, it is not possible to predict the effective duration of these measures. At this time, the extent to which the upcoming tax filing season will be delayed as a result of these unresolved policy questions is also uncertain. If left unresolved, the expiring tax provisions and automatic spending cuts, as well as the attendant delays in filing of tax returns, would have the effect of adding some additional time to the duration of the extraordinary measures. Treasury will provide more guidance regarding the expected duration of these measures when the policy outlook becomes clearer.
Here we go again. Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner has informed Congress via letter that as of Dec. 31, the government has once again reached the debt ceiling [PDF]:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
PeterHug, eeff, lyvwyr101, 3goldens, Kdoug, reflectionsv37, Phil S 33, Pluto, RJDixon74135, vigilant meerkat, DSPS owl, jnhobbs, leonard145b, Cat Servant, zaka1, cocinero, BarackStarObama, Monsieur Georges, pistolSO, aresea, The Marti, RUNDOWN
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Hunter
- Sunday’s bloody battle, which pitched Waco police against two feuding gangs and their supporters, resulted in 9 dead, 18 critically injured and 174 arrests. That the dead and injured were ...234 comments 177 Recs
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...120 comments 294 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...16 comments 63 Recs
- Story by Pamela Hess, UPI Pentagon Correspondent [not The Onion ] Rumsfeld: Looting is transition to freedom [F]reedom's untidy. And free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do ...103 comments 288 Recs
- I took advantage of a spring minus tide to explore an interesting historical feature along the Bellingham waterfront and to investigate how the intertidal denizens were faring in and around this ...73 comments 50 Recs
- Bertrand Olotara is a cook for the UK based (WTF?!) Compass Group, the contractor that rakes in billions in profits and yet does not pay its American workers a living wage. Every day, I serve food ...200 comments 330 Recs
- Tuesday in Phoenix, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's civil contempt hearing began, and the first day was a doozie. US District Judge Murray Snow ordered Sheriff Arpaio to appear at the hearing ...315 comments 643 Recs
- In May 2011, Rev. Shawn Rattigan was arrested on charges of producing and attempting to produce child pornography after an IT worker discovered the images on his hard drive. In 2012, he was found ...101 comments 187 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...60 comments 222 Recs
- I recently came out of a Harris Teeters in Raleigh, NC, and was putting my groceries in the car, when I noticed a note attached to the passenger side windshield. I figured someone must be ...322 comments 374 Recs
- No current results.