- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Bumper-sticker action:
- What's coming up on Sunday Kos …
- Book review: The Betrayal of the American Dream, by Laura Clawson
- 2012 In Review: Grading the Pollsters, by Steve Singiser
- The least bad option: Going over the cliff, by Armando
- The fear of young black men, by Denise Oliver Velez
- The problem with Hagel, by Scott Wooledge
- The national debt? Republicans built that, by Jon Perr
- We could use a few more stories like this:
For once, Your Wonkette presents a story from Florida that is not calculated to leave you shaking your head and saying, “Effin’ Florida, man.” After the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, a pawn shop owner in Seminole F-L-A has decided to get out of the gun-reselling business. Frank James, owner of Loanstar Jewelry and Pawn, said that as he watched the news of the Newtown shootings, “I basically broke into tears and looked up on the wall, seeing the types of firearms I am selling,” and decided that he could no longer continue to sell the kinds of weapons that were used to kill first-graders. His youngest child is six years old.
“I dropped my daughter off at school this morning. That was enough for me,” James said. “Conscience wins over making money.”
- And in related news, if convicted, they should throw the freaking book at her:
Federal authorities arrested a 37-year-old Bronx woman on Thursday after she allegedly concocted a ruse in the wake of the Connecticut mass shooting and posed as a relative of one of the slain children.
Nouel Alba is accused of using her Facebook account to solicit money from those wanting to donate to victims' families, claiming that the money was to be used for a "funeral fund," according to a U.S. Justice Department statement.
The donors apparently transmitted the money to a PayPal account controlled by Alba, who later allegedly lied about the scam to federal investigators, prosecutors said.
- Have you always dreamed about a career in politics? Now's your chance:
Wanted: a mayor for this tiny South Carolina town.
Like many rural communities across the country, Little Mountain has seen its population drop over the decades. Businesses closed on Main Street. Residents moved to nearby Columbia, seeking jobs and a faster pace.
Now the one-stoplight town, population 292, faces a more existential threat to its future: Nobody wants to be the mayor. No candidates ran in an election to replace the retiring mayor in November and, more unusual, the top two write-in recipients declined the job.
- Did you know that Fox hound Bill O'Reilly has spent more time yapping about his imaginary War on Christmas than he has spent talking about ongoing, real wars?
- Find out if you've only followed political news this year with this quiz to:
Test your knowledge of the year's news events!
- A comprehensive list of notable deaths in 2012 in the world of politics, business, sports and entertainment.
- What's next for Mitt Romney? Better question: does anyone really care?
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, a look at Slate's interactive graphic of gun deaths in America since Newtown. Greg Dworkin shared polling data on guns & the NRA, some poignant photos of the flood of teddy bears sent to Newtown, and some suggestions for how better to support that community. Then, Twitter sensation @RepJackKimble, author of Profiles in Courageousness. Plus, a peek at what makes C-SPAN tick, and how your humble host helped "liberate" Congressional video.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- CEDWYN’S MOM LINDA (IN AUSTIN TEXAS) THANK YOU I want to express my appreciation and gratitude for all of Cedwyn’s friends and KOS associates. I hope each of you celebrated Cedwyn in your ...46 comments 185 Recs
- FOREWORD BY OTTERAY SCRIBE (her father): Her full name is Brandi Nicole Stanley. I am her father. Remember her, please. She never wrote a diary after registering, because she never thought ...123 comments 561 Recs
- This morning it was announced that John Nash, famed mathemtician was killed on the New Jersey turnpike in a tragic car crash that claimed his life and that of his wife. John Forbes Nash Jr., the ...63 comments 258 Recs
- The Kansas Community of Pratt was rocked this afternoon with a 4.6 Earthquake. The earthquake, located about 89 miles west of Wichita and close to nearby Pratt is neither the first or largest ...81 comments 153 Recs
- Gorgeous, in all ways. Old school craftsmanship meets vintage rock and roll in the video age. The result? Oddly amazing and perfect:35 comments 48 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 290 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...93 comments 272 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'll say it: Luis Lang is a fool and a hypocrite. Over at Talking Points Memo, Josh Marshall has a story about a guy in South Carolina named Luis Lang who's in a nasty situation ...558 comments 677 Recs
- Let's play the name game... . . . Ok....ok...maybe not. :) But there are some interesting handles on here, and I've often wondered where they come from, so now is your chance to share, if you ...298 comments 53 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.