Currently, wage earners pay a Medicare tax of 1.45%, which is automatically taken out of their paychecks. Employers pay a matching 1.45% rate. Those taxes won't change.That means that couples filing jointly who make more than $250,000 combined will have to pay that additional 0.9 percent, because it won't be automatically withheld. Other new fees/taxes kicking in are a new tax deduction cap of $2,500 on flexible spending accounts, and for medical-device manufacturers, a 2.3 percent tax on products. All this is in preparation for 2014, when the health insurance exchanges are open for business and subsidies begin.
But come Jan. 1, individuals earning more than $200,000 in wages and married couples with wages of more than $250,000 will pay an additional payroll tax of 0.9% for Medicare on income that exceeds those amounts.
Employers will be able to deduct the extra 0.9% tax for individual employees on the portion of income that exceeds $200,000, but they won't be allowed to withhold additional payroll taxes to account for a combined income.
With or without going over the fiscal
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
mwm341, Liberal Thinking, eeff, nicki37, qofdisks, Cronesense, flumptytail, NewDealer, Gemina13, LinSea, gramofsam1, ban nock, createpeace, This old man, remembrance, Gardener in PA
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...218 comments 222 Recs
- Last week, I noted that the number of ACA exchange-based QHP selections has officially passed the 12 million mark nationally. I also mentioned that: Of course, when you throw in the missing tax ...8 comments 20 Recs
- Early results in the marriage equality referendum indicate a very strong showing for the yes vote. It's looking like a celebratory mood is emerging already within the Irish gay community, although ...187 comments 178 Recs
- Let’s say that you are a bit older, overweight, out of shape, and making your only visit to Glacier National Park. Now this is a National Park filled with hiking trails and lots of young, ...15 comments 37 Recs
- Need a bit of inspiration this morning? I've got just the story for you. On Tuesday, two men showed up on a street corner in Tillamook, Oregon, with signs reading "Homo sex is sin" and "Jesus said ...121 comments 423 Recs
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 288 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...84 comments 264 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...106 comments 47 Recs
- (Click to enlarge) Follow Jen on Twitter at @...81 comments 96 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.