- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Bright ideas from Wayne LaPierre:
- New study debunks old study claiming pot smoking makes you stupid:
The [original] Duke study looked at 1,000 people born in the town of Dunedin, New Zealand: Their IQs were tested at the ages of 13 and again at 38, and they were interviewed about their marijuana use. When a causal link between teen pot use and lower IQ was reported, the press wasted no time: “Smoking Cannabis When a Teen Makes You a Dope!” trumpeted UK tabloid The Sun. The Daily Mail went one further, suggesting that teenagers “addicted” to marijuana show signs of mental impairment normally seen “in early Alzheimer’s.”
The new paper, published by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, examines that research and finds its methodology to be flawed. Socioeconomic differences among study participants in terms of education level, occupation and income weren’t taken into account, says Ole Rogenberg of the Ragnar Frisch Center for Economic Research in Oslo. These factors could, according to Rogenberg, have influenced the participants’ varying IQs.
- "Death Star" petitioners respond to White House rejection:
he overwhelming military superiority of the Galactic Empire has been confirmed once again by the recent announcement by the President of the United States that his nation would not attempt to build a Death Star, despite the bellicose demands of the people of his tiny, aggressive planet. “It is doubtless that such a technological terror in the hands of so primitive a world would be used to upset the peace and sanctity of the citizens of the Galactic Empire,“ said Governor Wilhuff Tarkin of the Outer Rim Territories. “Such destructive power can only be wielded to protect and defend by so enlightened a leader as Emperor Palpatine.”
- Anti-vaxxer conspiracist Michael Savage warns about government flu shot plot: He said he got a flu shot and didn't die but wondered why the federal government is pushing flu shots.
But when you’re older, he argued, “and you get ALS or Alzheimer’s disease or MS, or you watch your kid develop seizures, or your kid becomes autistic, God forbid, what are you going to say?”
- Now Rick Scott can say the Devil made him do it:
The Satanic Temple is planning its first major rally, which will be held in support of Florida Gov. Rick Scott later this month for—which might sound ironic—signing a bill that allows for the possibility of prayer in public schools. [...]
"The Satanic Temple embraces the free expression of religion, and Satanists are happy to show their support of Rick Scott who [...] has reaffirmed our American freedom to practice our faith openly, allowing our Satanic children the freedom to pray in school," the Temple said in a release announcing the rally.
- No word yet whether Joe Walsh's new radio show will be called BREAKING! WIND: He is verging on signing up for a stint on Salem Communications WIND-AM radio.
- Chimpanzee in Spanish zoo gets addicted to (human) porn. What will Pat Robertson have to say about this?
- New study says soot worse global warming source than CO2:
[Soot, also known as] Black carbon's role in climate is complex. Dark particles in the air work to shade Earth's surface while warming the atmosphere. Black carbon that settles on the surface of snow and ice darkens the surface to absorb more sunlight and increase melting. Finally, soot particles influence cloud formation in ways that can have either a cooling or warming impact.
- No problem here, eh?
Despite recent progress in some states, millions of mental-health records remain missing from the national database that gun dealers use to run background checks on potential buyers. [...]
Federal law prohibits firearms sales to anyone declared mentally unfit by a court or similar body. In the 1990s, the FBI began assembling a national database of individuals prohibited from buying firearms, partly with the help of a 1993 federal law that required states to report mental-health records to the FBI. But in 1997, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the requirement, ruling that states could share mental-health records as they wished.
- Lots of gun talk today on Kagro in the Morning. Greg Dworkin joined us for a discussion of the crazy-ass NRA ad, prospects for legislation, and the politics & coverage of executive action. Also: the history of debt ceiling votes and the now dormant "Gephardt Rule." Firearms Derangement Syndrome, and asymmetry in gun policy "constitutional hardball."Armando on the debt ceiling, The Coin, and Boehner's loss of control. And a reading of Bush Treasury official Tony Fratto's Twitter explanation of why "prioritizing" can't really stave off default.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- 4 comments 9 Recs
- 6 comments 12 Recs
- Note that the video above was shot on May 8, 2015, set to Debussy's Clair de Lune, by the YouTube user NorthOlbo who makes wonderful pieces about the British Columbian coast. Check him out. The ...4 comments 14 Recs
- You ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` Wednesday ...8 comments 16 Recs
- By Christine Gutierrez-Boswell It has been awhile since I have authored a column here. Fortunately, the news never gets less interesting, and unfortunately gets worse for women. The top news ...102 comments 25 Recs
- Rick Scott sucks. Most of the Florida legislators suck. They suck for many reasons, not the least of which is trying to make it illegal for gay people to adopt children. The stupid law that was ...8 comments 31 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25034)
- Community (91232)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56235)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46219)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15075)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28655)
- Libya (4270)