- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Debt-B-Gone:
- What's coming up on Sunday Kos ...
- How the 2012 Presidential results inform the 2014 House target list, by Steve Singiser
- Magic tricks, loopholes and the debt ceiling, by Armando
- Newtown changed everything, by Greg Dworkin
- Jack Lew and the Premature Descent From Heaven: A Tale of the American Nomenklatura, by billmon
- American Psychosis, by Dante Atkins
- Invocation from a woman of courage and determination, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Teachers aren't the only ones giving low marks to Michael Bloomberg's war on public schools, by Laura Clawson
- Here's a handy-dandy guide to all of the new members of the 113th Congress.
- Perhaps the funniest twitter exchange of all time:
- Fighting back matters:
You know, no matter how nice Maggie Gallagher and company tries to dress up the National Organization for Marriage’s rhetoric, when the organization is not successful, it always goes back to basic homophobia and fear tactics such as the following “gays are coming after your children” ad it ran in Rhode Island recently [...]Instead they acted, putting out a statement condemning the lies and refuting them point by point.
No matter how much sweet frosting you put on manure, it is always manure. But here is the thing that I like. The group in Rhode Island pushing for marriage equality, Rhode Islanders United for Marriage, didn’t sit on its ass.
- Noted homophobic bigot Tony Perkins comes out (so to speak) against efforts to stop suicide among LGBT kids:
Gays are innately depressed and suicidal because of our "destructive lifestyles," and it's a "deceptive lie" to tell LGBT kids that it gets better.
- And speaking of homophobic bigots, this is big of them:
The Association of Bragg Officers’ Spouses, the military spouses group at Ft. Bragg, has offered a “guest membership” to Ashley Broadway, the same-sex spouse of Lt. Col. Heather Mack who they blocked last month from joining. In fact, the group arbitrarily changed its rules to require an active ID card — a benefit same-sex spouses are not currently afforded — specifically to keep her from being eligible. [...]
Stephen Peters, executive director of the American Military Partner Association, offered this reaction to BuzzFeed:
Ashley is not a ‘guest’ military spouse. She is a military spouse, plain and simple. So the idea that the organization, in order to end the negative attention they are getting because of their outright discrimination, wants to give her a ‘guest membership’ is not only offensive, but ridiculous. The ABOS openly admits a military ID card is not listed as a requirement, yet they continue to deny her full membership.
- Here's a unique solution for what to do with guns from buy-back programs:
Newark Mayor Cory Booker promoted his jewelry line, "The Caliber Collection," Thursday night on MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Show. The bracelets are made from metal "from 250 guns and bullet casings seized by the Newark Police Department" as part of the city's gun buy-back program, according to the line's website.
Booker told Maddow that "a large percentage of the proceeds go to more gun buy-backs in Newark."
- On today's Kagro in Morning show, Greg Dworkin with more polling on guns, and evidence of a shift in intensity shifting the ground, post-Newtown. Armando joined for our interview with former Hostess bakery worker Mike Hummel, aka bluebarnstormer. Hear the details the traditional media skipped in telling the story. See today's podcast post for a link to Mike's short film on the whole debacle. You won't believe what the hedge funders get away with!
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- Gorgeous, in all ways. Old school craftsmanship meets vintage rock and roll in the video age. The result? Oddly amazing and perfect:18 comments 25 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...266 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 252 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'll say it: Luis Lang is a fool and a hypocrite. Over at Talking Points Memo, Josh Marshall has a story about a guy in South Carolina named Luis Lang who's in a nasty situation ...558 comments 677 Recs
- Let's play the name game... . . . Ok....ok...maybe not. :) But there are some interesting handles on here, and I've often wondered where they come from, so now is your chance to share, if you ...298 comments 53 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 447 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...16 comments 63 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.