There is a diversity of opinion about gun policy on Daily Kos, and I respect the viewpoints of the spectrum of Kossacks on this issue. But I believe there is at least one area of gun policy where there is near universal agreement on, and that's universal background checks. Doing so would make 100% of all legal gun purchases subject to it, rather than 60% and would likely keep more people who cannot lawfully possess a gun under the 1968 Gun Control Act from being able to get a gun. By itself, universal background checks won't stop a determined person from illegally obtaining a gun however it will make it more difficult without placing an undue burden on law-abiding citizens and gun dealers who operate in good faith. I do believe that the RKBA(Right to Keep and Bear Arms) group would not take issue with more enforcement of current background checks laws either. When 92% of all Americans, 89% of Republicans and 85% of all NRA members support this policy, it is time for everyone to at least come together on this policy and get it done. I believe that everyone here on Daily Kos wants less gun deaths, whether they are RASA(Repeal or Amend the Second Amendment) or RKBA or somewhere in between. I am hopeful that as we come together in areas of common agreement, we can produce light from this and not the heat that comes with the Rox vs Sux fights or the I/P threads.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
KenBee, Sharon Wraight, notrouble, annecros, a2nite, Glen The Plumber, JohnnyBoston, Smoh, CA wildwoman
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by pistolSO
- Conservatives have rallied to Phil Robertson's defense, arguing that employers should not be allowed to fire someone for making homophobic remarks. ...245 comments 352 Recs
- So saith Adam Liptak in a news analysis piece in the New York Times today. As he writes, last June's decisions were very carefully calibrated: The Supreme Court’s two decisions in June were finely ...150 comments 177 Recs
- Haven't seen this diaried here yet. A federal judge in Ohio, Judge Timothy S. Black, has ruled that, under Windsor , Lawrence , and the Fourteenth Amendment, Ohio's state constitutional prohibition ...54 comments 67 Recs
- Not to beat this Duck to death, but in the original Gentleman's Quarterly interview Phil Robertson explains why godly people don't need health insurance... Phil On Health Insurance “Temporary is ...6 comments 4 Recs
- Here's a great photo gallery of the couples waiting in Salt Lake County to marry. I'm hearing that couples in Cache, Davis, Grand, Morgan, Salt Lake, Summit, Tooele, Washington and Weber counties ...36 comments 24 Recs
- ...9 comments 20 Recs
- Today, Scott Walker signed a shiny new Republican rammed through bill that allows schools in Wisconsin to keep racist team names, mascots, and logos. Essentially, it rewrites a law passed in 2010, ...32 comments 34 Recs
- 114 comments 65 Recs
- New Mexico becomes the 17th state (plus the District of Columbia) to make same-sex marriages legal. That's more than 1/3rd of the states encompassing more than 1/3rd of the US population. Here is ...71 comments 110 Recs
- First we start with Megyn Kelly, whose already been a laughing stock for her comments about "White Santa" (even though Santa isn't real and St. Nicholaus was not white) and "White Jesus" (even ...26 comments 39 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.