- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Lance's harsh landing:
- Conspiracy theorists lose another one:
Photographer and filmmaker S.G. Collins has a simple new explanation for why the moon landing couldn’t have been a hoax. Back in 1969, we simply didn’t have the video technology necessary to fake what people saw. It was actually easier for the U.S. government to just send people up to the moon
- Clinton for President '08 pays off final debt: And now the campaign is running a $204,833 surplus.
- Perhaps Trump can tweet for donations to buy The New York Times: The Donald is said, according to several sources, to have held meetings on the subject of purchasing the Times, which, by the way, isn't for sale.
Trump certainly has many opinions on how Times journalism should be conducted. For instance, when columnist Gail Collins derided Trump’s birther obsession in 2011, calling him “the man who can make Bill O'Reilly look like the most sensible guy in the room,” Trump responded with a letter to the editor claiming that Collins's “storytelling ability and word usage (coming from me, who has written many bestsellers), is not at a very high level. More importantly, her facts are wrong!”
- Utah employer fires two employees for supporting Obama:
“They were Obama supporters. We just knew they were," Terry Lee, owner of Terry Lee Forensics, a Cedar City, Utah, digital forensics company, told The Salt Lake Tribune on Thursday. [...]
According to the Tribune, Lee showed his support for the tactic by writing:
"Love it. We had to let two employees go to cover new Obongocare [sic] costs and increased taxes. Found two Obongo supporters and gave them the news yesterday. They wanted the idiot in the Whitehouse [sic], they reap the benefits.”
- Teacher marries student to avoid statutory rape trial: In North Carolina, as in other states, it is against the law to make the spouse of a defendant testify against his or her significant other. In 2009, 42-year-old Leah Gayle Shipman was arrested and charged with statutory rape for allegedly having sex with Johnnie Ray Ison, then 15. Shipman divorced her husband of 19 years in January 2011 and, five days later, asked and got permission from Johnnie Ray's mom to marry the kid. Consequently, prosecutors discovered last month when it became time to move the charge forward that they no longer had a provable case.
- But did he pass Algebra I? Sixteen-year-old Noah Arthurs completed a Rubik's cube puzzle behind his back while skiing downhill in Windham, N.Y.
- Nepal will issue third-gender IDs:
An official says Nepal’s government will begin issuing citizenship certificates with the category “third gender” for people who do not wish to be identified as male or female.The Himalayan nation's supreme court ruled in 2007 that this must be done, but the change is just now being implemented.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Guns 'n Filibusters!. Greg Dworkin discussed the continuing fervor, on both sides of the gun policy debate, post-Newtown. Plus, the state of play in filibuster reform. And when Sen. Carl Levin said he was uncomfortable with the constitutional option, and that he was joined in that view by Ted Kennedy, we dusted off the history of the 1975 filibuster reform fight to reveal that Kennedy actually spoke persuasively in favor of it. Voted for it, too. A fascinating dive into the weeds if you're a history and/or procedure buff!
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...39 comments 24 Recs
- As the Bonn Climate Talks launched today, France's foreign minister Laurent Fabius urged that any climate agreement agreed to in Paris this December must be worded in a manner which does not ...10 comments 22 Recs
- Among other threats to his ex-wife, Anthony Douglas Elonis posted this on his Facebook wall: If I only knew then what I know now, I would have smothered your ass with a pillow, dumped your body ...200 comments 100 Recs
- Samantha Elauf, denied a sales job at an ...149 comments 65 Recs
- The hero of Fox News speaks ...84 comments 80 Recs
- Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet got some ...14 comments 6 Recs
- Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) Last fall, as he campaigned for re-election as governor of ...48 comments 48 Recs
- This last Saturday, May 30th a special group of people got together once again to eat, drink and share. As usual it was relaxing, fun and informative. Here are a couple of pictures of one end of ...19 comments 25 Recs
- ALL HANDS ON DECK. This is not a drill. The vote in the House of Representatives on fast track trade authority, preapproving the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) before the public finds out what is ...4 comments 15 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12450)
- Afghanistan (11513)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25223)
- Community (91596)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2400)
- Economy (56334)
- eKos (12471)
- Environment (46424)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15210)
- Jobs (12499)
- Labor (28780)
- Libya (4270)