You can sign Durbin's petition here:Passing immigration reform won't be easy, but we have our best chance in years right now -- we have to seize it.
For Latinos and other immigrants, this is the civil rights issue of our time. And for all of us, as President Obama said in his second inaugural address, our journey is not complete as a nation until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who see America as a land of opportunity.
This week, we were proud to join several of our Senate colleagues in introducing a comprehensive, bipartisan immigration reform framework.
Now is the time for these commonsense, comprehensive reforms -- but many will seek to stand in the way.
We need to show potential opponents that this framework has broad public support. Sign our petition for comprehensive immigration reform at www.ComprehensiveReform.com today.
For the first time in many years, Republicans and Democrats seem ready to tackle this problem together. But remember, this is not just a debate about policy -- it's about people.
That means that any reform must be comprehensive:
It must include the principles of the DREAM Act, so that children brought here illegally through no fault of their own will be eligible for earned citizenship by going to college or serving honorably in the Armed Forces for at least two years.
It must provide a path to citizenship for those who are already here without papers, to bring them out of the shadows and give them a chance to play by the same rules as the rest of us.
It must protect American workers and ensure our immigration system is aligned with the needs of our changing economy.
And although we are a nation of immigrants, reform must recognize that we are a nation of laws as well. We will work to continue strengthening border security.
There's much more to these reforms, but none of it will make a difference to those who are staunchly opposed to any change. We need to show overwhelming public support on our side in order for reform to pass.
Sign our petition at www.ComprehensiveReform.com to show your support for comprehensive immigration reform in the Senate today.
What makes somebody an American isn't just blood or birth, but allegiance to our founding principles. Passing a comprehensive reform package will preserve those principles and set America on the path to greatness for decades to come.
Thanks for your support,
P.S. Comprehensive immigration reform must also include a mechanism to reunite families and establish enforceable rules for workplace fairness. -- Dick
Received an e-mail from Senator Dick Durbin (D. IL) who is working with Senators Chuck Schumer (D. NY), Bob Menendez (D. NJ) and Michael Bennet (D. CO) to help get a comprehensive immigration reform plan passed through congress. He is gathering signatures for people to put the pressure on congress to pass a comprehensive plan:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- The media are more interested in ...275 comments 290 Recs
- Stand up and say you're mad as hell and you won't take it anymore! Elizabeth Warren was a guest speaker this week at The Code Conference —"where top industry influencers in ...45 comments 91 Recs
- Want the scoop on hot races around the country? Get the digest emailed to you each weekday morning. Sign up here .164 comments 2 Recs
- Republican Sen. Pat Toomey (left) faces a ...28 comments 17 Recs
- While the political press corps moans about how ...434 comments 123 Recs
- I wrote a diary last week about how Scott in ...22 comments 15 Recs
- Oh, seriously. Democrats are whining about, heaven forbid, a bit of pressure from unions to actually vote correctly on fast track and the Trans Pacific Partnership. Grow up--and if you can't cast a ...135 comments 246 Recs
- and Sen. Clinton, and Sen. Warren and MoveOn and People for the American Way and Friends Committee on National Legislation and Democratic Nationnal Committee and DailyKos and so many others. But, ...116 comments 173 Recs
- You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...223 comments 230 Recs
- Bernie Sanders continued bringing the truth to the media world on CNBC's John Harwood. “I think it’s sick, and I think these people are so greedy. They’re so out of touch with reality, and ...163 comments 455 Recs
- No current results.