- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is Ways to save the GOP:
- What you missed on Sunday Kos ...
- What you may not know about gun violence in Chicago, by Georgia Logothetis
- When Hack Originalism Attacks: Sentelle and the Recess Power, by Armando
- Expanding the borders of Black History Month, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Neal Boortz, his death is on your head, by Dante Atkins
- You just know that this Nebraska Republican was a "family values" guy:
Lt. Gov. Rick Sheehy was a road warrior in his job, driving thousands of miles across the state to deliver speeches and cut ribbons.
But a monthlong investigation by The World-Herald uncovered a secret life during that travel, involving 2,300 phone calls to four women, other than his wife, during the past four years.
Sheehy, who served eight years in his post, resigned abruptly Saturday after the newspaper contacted him Friday about the calls, made on a state-issued cellphone.
- Here's the tease ... I'll bet you click on it to learn more:
Kevin Swanson is Wonket’s favoritest person in the whole wide world! First he splained us that college makes your daughters into ugly, angrier-angry feminist whores. Then he informed us that The Pill leaves your womb crusted with zombie babies eating your innards. Now the Christian-dick-radio talker has moved his sights, as seemed long overdue, to the science fact that in 2022, the government is going to take all the homeschooled children and turn them over to gays, for NAMBLAing. Seems legit!
- Somewhere, Mitt Romney is shaking his fist at the heavens:
The inventor of the beloved Etch A Sketch toy, Andre Cassagnes, has died at age 86, the toy’s manufacturer confirms to NBC News. Cassagnes died Jan. 16 in France.
- What a shock—not to mention really, really, really stupid:
Gov. Rick Perry of Texas said emphatically Saturday that the Boy Scouts of America should not soften its strict policy barring gay members, and dismissed the idea of bending the organization to the whims of “popular culture.” [...]
Mr. Perry told the youngsters that the Scouts were a key reason that he had joined the Air Force and later sought public office, and that society’s failure to adhere to the organization’s core values was a cause for high rates of teenage pregnancy and wayward youths who grow up to be “men joining their fathers in prison.”
- Offered without comment:
Gov. Scott Walker has transferred $40,000 of campaign donations into his legal defense fund, bringing the total deposited into the account to $200,000. [...]
Walker spokeswoman Nicole Tieman says the money was needed to cooperate with authorities over the past year.
- For the baby who has everything—except perhaps parents with common sense.
- Talk about a cold case:
- In case you were wondering:
Nothing highlights the thrill of victory like tugging on a T-shirt proclaiming your status as Super Bowl champion—or the agony of defeat, if you’re the losing team now holding pre-printed championship merchandise. While the San Francisco 49ers wound up on the wrong end of Sunday’s game, losing to the Baltimore Ravens, the winner will be World Vision, a nonprofit relief organization that will receive more than 100,000 articles of clothing from the National Football League to donate to underdeveloped countries. [...]
Back at World Vision’s international distribution center in Pittsburgh, it’s sorted by size, gender, and destination. Sweatshirts go to cold places like Mongolia, T-shirts to warmer areas in sub-Saharan Africa.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin in his regular spot, then UK fan GideonAB. The latest incidents of gun violence in the news, the state of play for legislation on gun policy, filibuster reform, etc. And having finally seen Lincoln, lots of talk about how times may change, but political dynamics sometimes stay very much the same. What might we expect to pass? And what should we continue to push for though we may not win right now?
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- Gorgeous, in all ways. Old school craftsmanship meets vintage rock and roll in the video age. The result? Oddly amazing and perfect:18 comments 24 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...264 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 252 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'll say it: Luis Lang is a fool and a hypocrite. Over at Talking Points Memo, Josh Marshall has a story about a guy in South Carolina named Luis Lang who's in a nasty situation ...558 comments 677 Recs
- Let's play the name game... . . . Ok....ok...maybe not. :) But there are some interesting handles on here, and I've often wondered where they come from, so now is your chance to share, if you ...298 comments 53 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 447 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...16 comments 63 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.