- Today's comic is Judge Prez by Matt Bors:
- Join us tonight, starting at 8:30 PM ET, as we liveblog President Obama's State of the Union address.
- It's time again for the annual tradition of recycling this barely interesting "fun fact":
President Thomas Jefferson discontinued the practice of delivering the State of the Union address in-person to Congress, simply forwarding his comments on paper for the clerks of the House and Senate to read.
- If you're in Nashville:
The original Emancipation Proclamation, a document that changed the lives of countless African-Americans during the Civil War, is going on display in Nashville as the fragile historical document makes its only stop in the Southeast on a 150th anniversary tour.
The exhibit opens Tuesday — fittingly on the anniversary of President Abraham Lincoln's birthday — at the Tennessee State Museum and runs through Monday. It's a rare visit outside the nation's capital for the original document Lincoln signed in 1863 declaring "forever free" all slaves held in Confederate states rebelling against the Union.
Because lights are harmful to the papers, the document can only be viewed for 72 hours over the course of the six days.
- This guy is my new hero:
Denver Nuggets star Kenneth Faried has become the first NBA player to join an organization devoted to fighting homophobia in sports, and said he hopes his involvement will raise awareness of gay rights in professional basketball.
Equal rights for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community is close to the heart of Faried, nicknamed the "Manimal" for his fierceness on the court. The 23-year-old forward was raised in New Jersey by two mothers, who married in 2007. Faried recently appeared with his mothers in a video for the advocacy group OneColorado, to encourage Colorado to legalize civil unions.
- Cruel irony:
For the last year and a half, Alleman served as the unofficial spokesman for the Heart Attack Grill — the infamous hospital-themed Las Vegas eatery that holds the world record for "most calorific burger."
Last week, Alleman, 54, suffered a massive heart attack and was rushed to Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas, where he remained on life support until he passed away this morning.
- Contrary to the emergency warning issued by a news station in Montana, please note the zombies are not coming ... yet:
“The bodies of the dead are rising from their graves and are attacking the living,” the emergency announcer said on local TV station KRTV. “Do not attempt to approach or apprehend these bodies, as they are considered extremely dangerous.”
- Correction of the day:
An earlier version of this post incorrectly reported that Sarah Palin planned to contribute to the Al Jazeera America news network.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, it's State of the Union day. Greg Dworkin reads the polls on issues likely to be included, and what reaction we can expect. We watch Jennifer Rubin fulminate about the President recounting having met the Pope. Procedural fact check: would Chuck Hagel would be just the 3rd cabinet nominee to have to overcome a filibuster. Well, yes & no. Behind the scenes SOTU meta. The IOC is set to axe wrestling from the 2020 Olympic games. Armando weighs in! Finally, a Utah town's debate over a local ordinance recommending that every home keep firearms, and everyone undergo free, city sponsored gun safety classes. Hey, that's socialism!
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Kaili Joy Gray
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 716 Recs
- Some of us have been missing Kaili Joy Gray's weekly recap of the War on Women. I'd rather be just plain missing the War on Women, but until then, we're trying to bring this weekly feature back as ...59 comments 101 Recs
- Kaili's first contribution is up at Wonkette and it is terrific. Happy Conservative Warriors Defeated by Mysterious CPAC Plague Caused By Liberals Probably . Everybody please welcome our newest ...87 comments 195 Recs
- Cross posted from Blue Virginia Just when you thought Virginia AG - and presumptive 2013 Teapublican nominee for governor - Ken "Kookinelli" couldn't get any creepier or more bizarre,18 comments 29 Recs
- Robin Kelly, victorious After Robin Kelly's dominant victory in Tuesday night's Democratic primary to fill ex-Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.'s vacant House seat, there's been a lot of very facile analysis ...84 comments 133 Recs
- This is fucking awesome, and hilarious, and appropriate, and reflective of my thinking on the issue. Look, I've long maintained that Daily Kos isn't for everyone, and will never strive to be. It is ...860 comments 564 Recs
- Greg Sargent :Norman Ornstein, an observer of Congress for decades, literally wrote the book on GOP obstructionism. So I asked him what he thought of the disappointing filibuster reform deal reached ...224 comments 250 Recs
- Chances Rand Paul will ever be president No doubt you've seen Sen. Rand Paul's made-for-TV tantrum yesterday at the U.S. Senate's Benghazi hearing. When the Kentucky ...95 comments 133 Recs
- No, not that pizza executive Here's what House Republicans were up to yesterday : House Republicans heard it loud ...100 comments 32 Recs
- I've long believed that wankerish NoLabels-loving conservaDem Jim Cooper has deserved a primary challenge. It's not just his votes but his mouth: He's spent his whole career publicly undermining the ...191 comments 147 Recs
Kaili Joy Gray's Tags
- #OccupyWallstreet (256)
- Abortion (12450)
- Black Kos (3708)
- Bristol Palin (265)
- Civil Rights (41742)
- Equal Pay (641)
- Feminism (3439)
- Mad Logophile (39)
- Occupy Wall Street (14349)
- Planned Parenthood (2908)
- Rape (4538)
- Sarah Palin (15994)
- second-wave feminism (14)
- Sex (1590)
- Susan G. Komen (247)
- War on Women (5544)
- Women (5830)
Kaili Joy Gray's Blogroll
- No current results.