If there is any Senator who deserves our devoted support for 2014, it's Jeff Merkley. He's a great progressive Democrat who is fighting with Senator Warren to hold Wall Street accountable and push for progressive values from enacting to ENDA to protecting the environment. Please be sure to donate to his re-election campaign here:After the financial crisis in 2008, I pushed as hard as I could for a new consumer agency because it was a critical way to level the playing field for families and reduce the risk of future crises.
A lot of people told me it would never pass, and a lot of were nervous about supporting it. But things were very different from the first time I met Senator Jeff Merkley.
Jeff wasn't scared of taking on a tough fight. He came to Washington for a reason: to do his best to give hard-working families a real shot.Jeff wanted to see consistent, across the board accountability, and he was a tireless advocate for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and for getting rid of tricks and traps hidden in the fine print of mortgages, credit cards and student loans. He fought to fix our housing market and he pushed for a strong Volcker rule to protect boring commercial banking from outrageous risks.
We have fought in the trenches together for years, and Jeff has been my mentor and my friend.
Now I'm very pleased to be serving on the Banking Committee with Jeff, and I really, really want to keep it that way. That's why I'm doing everything I can now to make sure he has the early resources he needs to win his re-election campaign in 2014.
Will you join me in supporting Jeff Merkley's campaign?
I could go on and on all day about the amazing things that Jeff is doing in the Senate. When you know what he's done, you'll understand why I feel so strongly.
When he was first sworn in, Senator Ted Kennedy asked Jeff to take up the cause of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA). For four years, he's been the lead sponsor of legislation to protect hardworking Americans from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Jeff has also been a key voice for a constitutional amendment to reverse Citizens United to ensure that the government works for the American people, not powerful corporations.
And if you've been reading my emails, you know that he's been leading the fight for filibuster reform to break the partisan gridlock and ensure more up-or-down votes on legislation that could improve people's lives. He made a real difference in bringing this issue to the forefront.
Taking on the big banks, corporate Super PACs and right-wing interest groups has made Jeff Merkley a big target in 2014. But if we get to work now, we can make sure Jeff can stand up to Karl Rove, the Koch Brothers, and everyone else lining up to defeat him. I know we can take those guys on and win because I've seen us do it before.
Donate now to help Jeff Merkley fight back in 2014. It will really make a difference -- because we need him to keep making a difference:
Jeff is thoughtful, he works incredibly hard, he has an amazing heart, and he is deeply committed to fighting for so many things we believe in. I have his back, and I hope you do too.
Thank you for being a part of this,
I always enjoy seeing one progressive hero campaign for another progressive hero's re-election campaign. Received a fundraising e-mail from Senator Elizabeth Warren (D. MA), A.K.A. Wall Street's worst nightmare, who is supporting another great Wall Street reform advocate, Senator Jeff Merkley (D. OR), in his 2014 re-election bid:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- He's already won. Believe it or not (I didn't at first), Hillary's primary poll ...497 comments 116 Recs
- More popular than the jokers in the GOP side. Here is the ...341 comments 133 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...294 comments 307 Recs
- Stand up and say you're mad as hell and you won't take it anymore! Elizabeth Warren was a guest speaker this week at The Code Conference —"where top industry influencers in ...45 comments 93 Recs
- Want the scoop on hot races around the country? Get the digest emailed to you each weekday morning. Sign up here .175 comments 2 Recs
- Republican Sen. Pat Toomey (left) faces a ...40 comments 18 Recs
- While the political press corps moans about how ...443 comments 125 Recs
- I wrote a diary last week about how Scott in ...22 comments 15 Recs
- Oh, seriously. Democrats are whining about, heaven forbid, a bit of pressure from unions to actually vote correctly on fast track and the Trans Pacific Partnership. Grow up--and if you can't cast a ...154 comments 265 Recs
- and Sen. Clinton, and Sen. Warren and MoveOn and People for the American Way and Friends Committee on National Legislation and Democratic Nationnal Committee and DailyKos and so many others. But, ...116 comments 173 Recs
- No current results.