- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Bad Fetus, in "Fetal Firepower!!":
- George Orwell would be...uh...confused?:
During a speech at the Wetumpka Tea Party, Elois Zeanah of the Alabama Federation of Republican Women compared the adoption of [the Common Core State Standards Initiative] to the indoctrination of children in Nazi Germany, with President Obama teaching children and imposing an “anti-Christian, anti-capitalism, anti-America…pro-homosexuality, illegal immigration, unions, environmentalism, gun control, feminism and social justice” curriculum.
“They are going to force us to pay to indoctrinate our own kids,” Zeanah warned, “this is not a novel like ‘1994’ [sic], it’s Common Core.”
- War contractors hate the collateral damage that drones could cause to their bottom line.
- N.H. state legislator says some women like abuse: Rep. Mark Walden and three other New Hampshire state legislators voted for a reduced penalty for some cases of simple assault. It's just a matter of personal taste:
“Some people could make the argument that a lot of people like being in abusive relationships,” Warden said during a meeting held by the committee. “It’s a love-hate relationship. It’s very, very common for people to stick around with somebody they love who also abuses him or her.”
He continued, “Is the solution to those kind of dysfunctional relationships going to be more government, another law? I tend to say no. People are always free to leave.”
- Minnesota legislator says being gay is sexual addiction The foe of marriage equality is a real piece of work:
“It’s an unhealthy, sexual addiction,” state Rep. Glenn Gruenhagen said Wednesday.
The Glencoe Republican said he has a friend who ran a sexual addiction clinic. "He helped many homosexuals and other people come out of the lifestyle.”
- Great news! Older people who think the future will be shitty live longer:
"Our findings revealed that being overly optimistic in predicting a better future was associated with a greater risk of disability and death within the following decade," said lead author Frieder R. Lang, PhD, of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in Germany. "Pessimism about the future may encourage people to live more carefully, taking health and safety precautions." The study was published online in the journal Psychology and Aging.
- Check out this infrared-filtered, time-lapse video: Glen Ryan put together the video in New South Wales, Australia, calling it Karst Country, for the limestone formations there.
- Four reasons the U.S. has no offshore wind turbines: The short version: Not enough federal support; clashes between wind energy advocates and other "stakeholders"; including some environmentalists who worry about whales and fisheries,; lack of ships that can handle planting turbine platforms in the ocean floor; and clashes between state and federal authorities.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show: sequester, guns & false equivalence. Greg Dworkin talked about United Physicians of Newtown's recognition in the media, the dynamics of the gun conversation in general, and on the sequester, the continuing dependency on false equivalence. Also: the Woodward blow-up, today's most outrageous #GunFAILs, and the new hotness of false equivalency shaming. Jennifer Rubin "fans" in particular will delight in her roasting by The Atlantic's Conor Friedersdorf.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Powered Grace, eeff, oceanview, xxdr zombiexx, justiceputnam, bythesea, LinSea, Susan Grigsby, wintergreen8694
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Anyway, this is the polite version of the face I made when reading this article.64 comments 34 Recs
- Texas, long known as an anti-union “Right to Work (For Less)” state, has introduced a potentially devastating bill for public employee unions that would prohibit most government entities from ...8 comments 14 Recs
- Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback promised to be able to balance the state budget by cutting taxes for the wealthy. That didn't work out. So to help cover the budget gap he has decided to punish the ...44 comments 75 Recs
- Thursday morning, the ...15 comments 15 Recs
- 55 comments 48 Recs
- 180 comments 302 Recs
- In the latest attack on the climate science community, John Mashey (a computer scientist and frequent DeSmogBlog contributor) was sued for $2 million for exposing plagiarism. It's a long and weird ...5 comments 20 Recs
- Yesterday, Republican Justin Amash (MI-03) and Democrat John Lewis (GA-05) as well as 58 of their colleagues sent a letter to the Senate calling on them to pass real NSA reform as opposed to the ...2 comments 12 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24984)
- Community (91127)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56200)
- eKos (12465)
- Environment (46172)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15056)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28624)
- Libya (4270)