Yes I am a dyed in the wool liberal and proud of it. While I vote democratic, it is not due to any party allegiance but rather because their policies are closer to my thoughts than the Republicans, who are bat shit crazy anyway and un-American, but I digress.
I do not universally support the democratic party because many of the elected officials are in the bag to the same corporate masters as the Republicans. Not until we take the $$$ out of politics will we begin to get representatives of the people.
Hell, look at the current gun debate, with 92% of Americans favoring universal registration it seems like a tough nut to crack, aaamazing.
So it appears to me that we actually need a new liberal party with real progressives who speak their minds like the venerable Senator from Vermont Bernie Sanders.
In my fantasy world here would be the platform that every candidate would have to sign onto and agree with in order to get party support (BTW - I would prefer to see the Democratic Party do this but that will never happen).
1. No donations, corporate or personal over $1,000
2. No bundeling, all donations must be direct
3. No affiliation with any Super Pacs
4. Elected officials and their staff's will not meet with advocates of any particular group or affiliated group more than once a month
5. Elected officials and their staff's will not accept recommended language or drafts of legislation from lobbyists
6. Candidates for the house will agree to a 5 term limit
7. Candidates for Senate will agree to a 3 term limit
8. Candidates will agree to a moratorium on going to work for any corporation they oversaw by committee for a period to 7 years after leaving office
9. Candidates will agree to a moratorium on lobbying any government elected official or their staff's for a period of 7 years after leaving office
Now any of the current parties could adopt some or all of this anytime they want but that is not likely. It is time for a peoples party, Americas party