- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is High Fructose Corn Syrup Times:
- Ezra Klein is sorry for supporting the Iraq War:
I have my excuses, of course. I was a college student, young and dumb. [...]
But at the core of my support for the war was an analytical failure I think about often: Rather than looking at the war that was actually being sold, I’d invented my own Iraq war to support—an Iraq war with different aims, promoted by different people, conceptualized in a different way and bearing little resemblance to the project proposed by the Bush administration. In particular, I supported Kenneth Pollack’s Iraq war.
- Some loudmouth lady is having fun over at Wonkette:
Remember that time when all the hip, young conservatives—like teen starlet Phyllis Schlafly and some dumb chick from Alaska and also for some reason Michele Bachmann—gathered in that godless cesspool that is our nation’s capitol to discuss America’s Future: The Next Generation of Conservatives [Second subhead because more subheads equals more smarter sounding] New Challenges, Timeless Principles? Of course you do, because it wasn’t even a week ago, and you’re probably still putting the finishing touches on your CPAC 2013 scrapbook, complete with pictures of not-racist dudes dressed like Thomas Jefferson, whitesplaining how The Man is keeping them down with the socialism and the Obama ‘n stuff. Also, BENGHAZIIIIII!!!!!! Ah, memories.
- Tour the embassy $750 million of your tax dollars built in Iraq.
- Michelle Shocked tries to apologize for her anti-gay tirade: And it only took 10 of 11 venues to cancel her upcoming appearances to get her to try this murky backtracking.
- So much for GOP minority outreach:
Monday morning, the Republican National Committee released a lengthy “autopsy” of their 2012 electoral loss, much of which was devoted to the GOP’s weak standing among people of color. “It is imperative that the RNC changes how it engages with Hispanic communities to welcome in new members of our Party” the autopsy proclaims, and “the Republican Party must be committed to building a lasting relationship within the African American community year-round, based on mutual respect and with a spirit of caring.”
One day later, Arkansas Republicans showed their mutual respect and spirit of caring for people of color by passing a law that will keep many of them from casting a vote.
- Study: Global warming means the fatter polar bears survive:
Led by Dr Seth Cherry of the University of Alberta, the team studied polar bears in western Hudson Bay, where sea ice melts completely each summer and typically re-freezes from late November to early December. "This poses an interesting challenge for a species that has evolved as a highly efficient predator of ice-associated seals," he explains. "Because although polar bears are excellent swimmers compared with other bear species, they use the sea ice to travel, hunt, mate and rest."
Polar bears have adapted to the annual loss of sea ice by migrating onto land each summer. While there, they cannot hunt seals and must rely on fat reserves to see them through until the ice returns.
- Arkansas state senator gets nasty with correspondent.
- Eco-Advocates not happy with plans to rebuild New Jersey boardwalk. They don't like the fact that Ipe, a dense, fire-resistant Brazilian hardwood is going to be used:
“What happens in the Brazilian rainforest [where ipe is often logged] affects the climate,” says Jeff Tittel, director of the Sierra Club’s New Jersey chapter. “It’s unconscionable to add to climate disruption when you’ve just been destroyed by an environmental disaster that was caused by climate disruption.”
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Iraq continued to dominate. But we connected that to today's austerity and slashing of the social safety net, which every Very Serious pundit agrees is absolutely imperative, despite the shrill cries of those who say the evidence points to the necessity for the exact opposite. But other than that, in no way are the two stories related. Except for the deficit "crisis" having been created by that war, which was supposed to pay for itself and be a cakewalk. After an update on budget maneuverings in Congress, Armando takes us back to the parallels between the Iraq war political landscape and today's austerity craze.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, navajo, QuoVadis, Steven Payne, lyvwyr101, LillithMc, ericlewis0, wintergreen8694, hulibow, LaraJones
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Thursday morning, the ...15 comments 14 Recs
- 47 comments 45 Recs
- 180 comments 296 Recs
- In the latest attack on the climate science community, John Mashey (a computer scientist and frequent DeSmogBlog contributor) was sued for $2 million for exposing plagiarism. It's a long and weird ...5 comments 20 Recs
- Yesterday, Republican Justin Amash (MI-03) and Democrat John Lewis (GA-05) as well as 58 of their colleagues sent a letter to the Senate calling on them to pass real NSA reform as opposed to the ...2 comments 12 Recs
- Good evening, TC peeps! I've been away from TC for so long that most of you are probably saying, "virgowho?" ...26 comments 42 Recs
- State and federal government crews continue to monitor the clean up of a big oil spill off the coast of Santa Barbara as the size of the disaster has expanded. The spill from a ruptured pipeline ...14 comments 23 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24980)
- Community (91120)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56198)
- eKos (12465)
- Environment (46167)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15056)
- Jobs (12468)
- Labor (28623)
- Libya (4270)