. . .the plan will spare the Mediterranean island a financial catastrophe by winding down the largely state-owned Popular Bank of Cyprus, also known as Laiki, and shifting deposits below 100,000 euros to the Bank of Cyprus to create a "good bank".Calling sophisticated kossacks. What does this mean in the long haul? A bank failed. How much of this solution transfers the pain to the right segment? Why was the national bank the one chosen to fail?
Deposits above 100,000 euros in both banks, which are not guaranteed under EU law, will be frozen and used to resolve Laiki's debts and recapitalize Bank of Cyprus, the island's biggest, through a deposit/equity conversion.
The raid on uninsured Laiki depositors is expected to raise 4.2 billion euros,
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by BlueDragon
- I'm not opposed to violence in entertainment. While I certainly don't desire any violence in my own life—or in anyone else's really—violence is part of the classic formula for drama. Whether it'226 comments 42 Recs
- He's an asshole Bill O'Reilly is a terrible, dumb, vicious, hypocrite. Now you might add wife-beater to that litany of the obscenities that come to mind when O'Reilly crosses your radar. Gawker ...180 comments 109 Recs
- Congratulations to Els, from North London, for her astounding accomplishment. The 8-year old managed to convince a mega book publisher to stop marketing books that are titled 'for boys' and '...30 comments 239 Recs
- Ted Cruz is getting some of his tea party's own medicine. To be clear, Ted Cruz is a US citizen. He is born of an American mother and a Cuban father. He was born in Calgary, Canada. ...345 comments 357 Recs
- UVA Honors Student Martese Johnson A popular undergraduate honors student and leader at the University of Virginia, Martese Johnson, was brutally assaulted by law enforcement near the campus very ...177 comments 256 Recs
- I know I am. I think there's enough proof already. They are crazy liars without a heart who cater to the rich and conservatives and play upon people's intolerance, fear of the new, and ignorance ...608 comments 270 Recs
- I worked at home yesterday; student protesters blocked the entrances to the university that employs my wife and me. My department anticipated the troubles and sent us all home with our laptops. We ...65 comments 99 Recs
- I am asking for your help in fighting a nasty bit of repression in Kerala, India. A couple of friends of mine, Thushar Sarathy and Jaison Cooper, have been in jail for over a month with--so far--no ...3 comments 9 Recs
- What made so many people identify with a character who showed no emotion and had pointy ears? I realize there have been several DK diaries on Leonard Nimoy's passing, but I also figure you won't ...143 comments 215 Recs
- You provide the service, and guess what -- you don't get paid. Saturday 4:00 PM. Disaster impends. People are coming for dinner in an hour and I need acorn squash and long grain rice. These are ...542 comments 399 Recs
- No current results.