Men and women, around the world, are submitting their photos and statements of solidarity against rape and in support of rape survivors. The campaign called, 'Unite Against Rape,' was launched by the nonpartisan women's rights organization, UniteWomen.org, in hopes of changing the dialogue of rape culture, and removing the stigma of rape, which many survivors carry with them for years.UniteWomen.org, with a reach of over 20 million people, is creating an array of individual graphics with these photos and quotes posting them on their Facebook page (www.facebook/UniteWomen) to depict both the diversity of victims and the unity of sentiment against sexual violence.The purpose of the “Unite Against Rape” campaign is to change the public dialogue about rape and bring awareness to the issue by sharing people’s individual perspectives as we head into Sexual Assault Awareness month in April. With the recent rape trial in Steubenville fresh in the minds of Americans, and similar cases constantly being brought into the public eye, UniteWomen.org decided to publicly stand in solidarity with Steubenville’s Jane Doe and the millions who have survived the heinous crime of rape.The campaign is garnering high‐profile endorsements, as well as the support of women's and human rights organizations. More well-knowns are are sending their photos and statements, including activist Sandra Fluke, Jane Pratt, The Steubenville Blogger, Dr. Gilda Carle, Comedian Lois Bromfield, XOJane's Mandy Stadtmiller, Actress Sharon Gardner, Novelist Pat Bertram... and everyday women and men around the world who are survivors of rape, or supporters of rape survivors.“The idea is to remove the shame and blame from victims and onto the perpetrators and those who participate in victim‐blaming,” said Renee Davis, Executive Vice President of Programs at UniteWomen.org. “The wrong people are on the receiving end of public stigma, and this has to change!”Karen Teegarden, President and CEO of UniteWomen.org, says, “If we can stop one person from being raped by this ‘Unite Against Rape’ campaign, it will have been worth our time. This campaign features rape survivors, and those who support them, making bold statements against what is often referred to as our rape culture.”To get involved, you only need to send a photo and brief statement:
Send: Photos and Statements To: email@example.com
Media Contact: Public.Relations@unitewomen.orgIf You Need Immediate Help:As a rape survivor, I stand with, Unite Against Rape, and all survivors of rape and sexual abuse.~Leslie Salzillo, Writer of this Daily Kos Dairy
Call: National Rape, Abuse, & Incest Hotline: 1.800.656.HOPE
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
glitterscale, Steven Payne, old wobbly, RWood, karmsy, gchaucer2, fb, Youffraita, elwior, savano66, bsmechanic, Tara the Antisocial Social Worker, zooecium, Lonely Texan, ShoshannaD, JayRaye
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- Paul Krugman's May 1 column in the New York Times states the devastatingly obvious: Ideology and Integrity . ...Nonetheless, many in the news media will try to make the campaign about ...117 comments 247 Recs
- After issuing homophobic slurs at a gay couple, a patron at a NYC restaurant began to whack the gay couple with a chair over the head. Neither man was taken to the hospital mainly due to financial ...61 comments 66 Recs
- Somebody needs to wipe the climate-change-denying smile off Lamar Smith's mug. The story about Republicans in committee axing big hunks of government science budgets sparked a deluge of social ...128 comments 253 Recs
- Recall all the stories telling us how Likud and Benjamin ("Bibi") Netanyahu had won a great victory at the polls on March 17th ??? Well, it's not just Fox News. They all had it wrong. Netanyahu's ...97 comments 61 Recs
- This week the Louisville Courier-Journal broke news that Marilyn Thomas, the college girlfriend of James Comer (Comer is Kentucky's Agriculture Commissioner and a Republican candidate for Governor)6 comments 2 Recs
- ...5 comments 4 Recs
- Daniel Chong left for 5 days, handcuffed, without food or water or toilet—in a holding cell The LA Times is reporting on Daniel Chong, a 23-year-old UC San Diego engineering student who was ...69 comments 173 Recs
- Everyone talks about this problem of Money in Politics . Some Candidates have been talking about it long before "it was kool." Bernie Sanders on What Money Does to Politics (with Video) on ...17 comments 53 Recs
- Reefer madness! The folks at D.A.R.E (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) fell for a fake news story about a shocking number of deaths and pregnancies from the devil weed. They ...27 comments 30 Recs
- I recently came upon evidence of some inappropriate use of his office by a Wisconsin politician. Nothing that would send him to jail or even disgrace him horribly (particularly in light of what we'...12 comments 5 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.