- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Super-Fun-Pak Comix, featuring "How to Draw Doug" and more:
- That $6 trillion spent on Iraq war will still have an effect when today's kids are grandparents: Linda Blimes, who together with Joseph Stiglitz, once calculated the cost of the Iraq War at $3 trillion, which turns out to be an underestimate by as much as half has a new study out:
As a consequence of these wartime spending choices, the United States will face constraints in funding investments in personnel and diplomacy, research and development and new military initiatives. The legacy of decisions taken during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars will dominate future federal budgets for decades to come.
- Madagascar hit with 'severe' plague of locusts:
The last plague of the insects struck in the 1950s and lasted 17 years. Experts say this time it could last five to 10 years if something isn't quickly done. The UN's Food and Agricultural Organization says some $22 million is immediately needed to confront the problem.
- Cops say run on ammunition has left them without.
- R.I. bishop makes bogus claim about stalling marriage equality in state.
- Arizona legislative panel bars transgenders from using bathroom of choice:
[After long debate and a parade of witnesse, the committee voted 7-4] late Wednesday approved a measure targeting transgendered people who want to use bathrooms of the gender they identify with, voting along party lines to advance a bill that protects business owners who bar the practice.
- The new bio, "Roger Ailes: Off Camera," sold pitifully its first week: The book, which its author hoped would counteract another about the Fox New chief written by New York Magazine writer Gabriel Sherman, sold less than 3,000 its first week out. It ranks #954 on the Amazon list.
- M.E. tossed from Brightest Young Things over plagiarism. Site shut down for "internal audit":
The arts and lifestyle website Brightest Young Things announced the resignation last night of Logan Donaldson, its managing editor who was found Tuesday to have plagiarized whole sections of a 13,000-word music guide from other publications. Since the plagiarism in the music guide was discovered, it was also revealed that Donaldson lifted content throughout his four-year history with BYT.
- What's wrong with America?
Kim Kardashian: 17,569,043 Twitter Followers
- What's wrong with America—Part 2: McCain, 223,406 Twitter Followers, says the show will be a kind "Meet the Press" meets "Jackass" kind of thing.
- What's wrong with America—Part 3:
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin joined the discussion of a new category of #GunFAIL: guns people claim they "forgot" they were carrying. Cold, dead hands! But also, I totally forgot I even had a gun! But some think there's no point in the TSA screening for guns at all. Also: cops having trouble finding bullets, thanks to hoarders, who in turn blame shortages on hoarding by cops, because Reality! 2nd hour: WalMart runs itself into the ground in a vicious cycle wherein the drive for bigger management bonuses depends on cutting payroll, and when short-staffing hurts sales, they compensate by... cutting payroll. Yeah. Austerity much?
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, navajo, xxdr zombiexx, LNK, AnotherMassachusettsLiberal, justiceputnam, JeffW, beanbagfrog, LinSea, Mr MadAsHell, OhioNatureMom, LaraJones
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- The Guardian British art collective Kennard Phillipps have reimagined the bucolic US artwork ...5 comments 19 Recs
- The title of this diary was the title of a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee for the Constitution that was held on May 20, 2015. The subcommittee is chaired by John Cornyn, who has been a ...6 comments 24 Recs
- My heart goes out to the residents of the areas affected by tornadoes and flooding in Texas, Oklahoma, and Mexico. I have heard some heartbreaking stories of loss of lives and of destruction of ...34 comments 109 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...95 comments 39 Recs
- 40 comments 96 Recs
- Dave Trabert, author for the Kansas Policy Institute - a right wing Kansas local think tank took to his online blog to declare the Kansas Legislature was prepared to abdicate their duty. http://...17 comments 22 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12442)
- Afghanistan (11513)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25159)
- Community (91484)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56300)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46386)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15170)
- Jobs (12496)
- Labor (28754)
- Libya (4270)