Clearly people of modest means will lie and cheat and steal to bring in an extra 150 bucks a month from food stamps or welfare. Just ask any conservative. But the sterling character and unquestioned integrity of our glorious masters in the fossil fuel industry would never allow those most noble of creatures from ever falling prey to such base temptations, not even for zillions of free dollars ...
Between directly lowered prices, tax breaks, and the failure to properly price carbon, the world subsidized fossil fuel use by over $1.9 trillion in 2011 — or eight percent of global government revenues — according to a study released this week by the International Monetary Fund. The biggest offender was by far the United States, clocking in at $502 billion.Ahh yes, that ole free market magic.
- Strange beautiful circles appearing in icy ponds or the plains of Africa, or atop icy ponds, could be the species of imperative of aliens—along with body cavity exams—after traveling many light-years over millennia ... or they could have more mundane explanations.
- I like the U.S. Post Office, I defend them against the anti-government neo-feudalists once known as the Republican Party. So if they see coworkers pulling this shit, they should take the necessary steps to ensure it does not continue.
- Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated, beginning with Cnidarians!
- If I understand this right, a single close call on the roadway or one puff off a cigarette can initiate a chain of events that can kill you in seconds. The phenomenon may have almost killed me a few weeks ago, and it probably did kill a very close of friend of mine a few days later.
- Oh, I should add, the cardiologist released me to normal activities. After I recover from the hangover soon to be incurred, I'll seriously consider getting more serious about science writing here and elsewhere, seriously, now about that hangover ...