- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Your Daily Gun:
- What's coming up on Sunday Kos ...
- I am sick and tired of dumb people arguing against marriage equality, by Hunter
- The banana republic in which we stand, by Mark Sumner
- Will Calhounsim Bring Down DOMA, by Armando
- Is the Affordable Care Act unaffordable? Mitch McConnell wants you to think so, by Joan McCarter
- The U.S. has learned nothing from Europe's deadly obsession with austerity, by Georgia Logothetis
- The Stolen Generations, by Denise Oliver Velez
- America's soft power secret: Hip Hop, by brooklynbadboy
- Elon James White, Managing Director of This Week In Blackness invites you to listen to the latest episodes of #TWiBRadio and TWiB! In the Morning: "How NOT to be a Pundit"; where we covered the extreme pundit fail on The Hannity Show, more controversy about NYPD's stop-and-frisk policy, and much, much more. Folks wishing to engage directly with #TeamBlackness should comment at the original post.
- Here's a map of female mortality rates in the United States, with the headline reading "pretty terrifying." The headline is correct.
- They should be ashamed. But bigots never are:
The Texas A&M student senate late Wednesday passed a bill aimed at letting students opt out of funding the university's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Resource Center on religious grounds.
After three hours of tear-filled testimony and impassioned debate, the senate voted 35-28 to approve the measure to allow students to choose not to pay portions of their student fees to specific university services that conflict with their religious beliefs.
- A bittersweet anniversary:
- With baseball season finally upon us, where does your team's owner rank on the asshole-o-meter?
In early February, a US Patent and Trademark Office court in Washington, DC, confirmed what baseball fans had suspected for more than a century: The New York Yankees are evil. After an internet startup, Evil Empire Inc., had attempted to trademark the phrase "Baseball's Evil Empire," the Yankees filed an injunction, and the panel of judges agreed. As the court put it, "The record shows that there is only one Evil Empire in baseball and it is the New York Yankees." If only it were true. The ranks of Major League Baseball owners include some of the richest men—and they are almost exclusively white males—in the country, as likely to open their wallets for a super-PAC as they are a top-shelf free agent. Viewed in the context of the competition, with its anti-discrimination settlements and SEC investigations, the Yankees are, like their Opening Day roster, fairly pedestrian.
So where does your team's ownership rank? We took a stab at it, analyzing each franchise by its level of political activity (based on campaign donations and office-seeking) and relative degree of evil—copyrighted or not.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Everything on the show today has a Greg Dworkin component to it. First, an extended version of his regular segment, featuring Monte Frank of Team 26, for a recap of their Newtown-to-DC ride, an update on their activities & word on what's next. Then, the story of the surprising phone call Greg got from Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist David Cay Johnston, regarding my reading of his article, "What The NRA's 'School Shield' Would Cost." While I finished up the article, Armando called in to go to bat for Johnston & pitch an effort to get him on the show.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Barbara Morrill
- Gorgeous, in all ways. Old school craftsmanship meets vintage rock and roll in the video age. The result? Oddly amazing and perfect:18 comments 25 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...266 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 253 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'll say it: Luis Lang is a fool and a hypocrite. Over at Talking Points Memo, Josh Marshall has a story about a guy in South Carolina named Luis Lang who's in a nasty situation ...558 comments 677 Recs
- Let's play the name game... . . . Ok....ok...maybe not. :) But there are some interesting handles on here, and I've often wondered where they come from, so now is your chance to share, if you ...298 comments 53 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 448 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...16 comments 63 Recs
- Donate here! https://35409.thankyou4caring.org/pages/donation-page----nepal-earthquake Hi everyone, Sorry for writing so late but I can't write till I am free from my baby duties. So....... So ...14 comments 27 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs
Barbara Morrill's Tags
- No current results.