Hundreds of global partners and individuals are participating in#MDGMomentum, a week-long schedule of activities relating to the work ahead until the goals expire in 2015. They will be replaced with a set of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) determined at the Rio+20 Conference through an "inclusive and transparent intergovernmental process open to all stakeholders, with a view to developing global sustainable development goals to be agreed by the General Assembly".
For a recap of yesterday's images signifying #1000 days and 1000 words, visit #MDGMomentum Storify , and follow the hashtag #MDGMomentum. You can also search under each individual MDG# for specific information regarding each goal.
Here's a sampling of some of some of the information and inspirational stories and facts filing in as part of the campaign:
• Momentum1000 : The #Asia #Pacific region has already reached #MDG1, halving the incidence of #poverty #MDGMomentum
•Dalit Foundation: New York Times article highlights why we should care about the education of children in India
• • "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to #change the world. ~Nelson Mandela #MDGmomentum
• Oxfam : 10% more #girls in school = GDP up 3+%. Empowering women fights poverty on all fronts, let's step it up! http://www.triplepundit.com/... … #MDGMomentum
• World BankThe rise in women’s education has prevented over 4M child deaths from 1970-2009.
• Maternal mortality is down 47% since 1990
• The terrorists showed what frightens them most: a girl with a book. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Malala Yousafzai. #MDGmomentum
• UN Development: 14.000 fewer children die/day than in 1990.
• Pediatric Aids Foundation: Because of chronic undernutrition, 1/4 of the world’s children under 5—about 165 million children—are stunted.
•Millennium Villages : Free mosquito bed nets to fight #malaria are one of our best weapons. Every Millennium Village has them.
• Gates Foundation: Ethiopia’s effort on health has lowered child mortality over 60% since 1990
• UNFPA: Trained midwives can help avert 2/3 of all maternal deaths & half of newborn deaths. #MDGmomentum #MDG5
• UNFPA: #MDGmomentum: Over 170 “Schools for Husbands”set up #Niger involving men in promoting #reprohealth #MDG5
• UNDP 8 million people are receiving medicine for HIV/AIDS, and malaria deaths fell by 25%.
• aWhere : aWhere is working towards #mdg1 and #mdg7 by supporting sustainable agriculture initiatives! #MDGmomentum
• UN Development: #MDGMomentum in #Nepal: ~20.000 adults have participated in literacy classes thanks to micro-hydropower: #MDG7
• End Trafficking: Global warming & natural disasters leave millions homeless & impoverished, creating a population vulnerable to trafficking #MDG7
• Millennium Villages: #MDG8 Our work is only possible with support from nat'l govts, NGOs, private sector, multilaterals, universities, and local communities.
• #MDG8. Valuable resourcesstill spent globally on medicines but widening gap in delivering vital aid #MDGmomentum
• Momentum1000 : #MDGmomentum #MDG8 success story: Integrated Implementation Framework tracks #development commitments