- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Boston Marathon:
- Gov. LePage says U. of Maine's wind turbine fools people with ‘a little electric motor that turns the blades’. No. this is not a joke:
Now, to add insult to injury, The University of Maine, Presque Isle — anybody here been up there to see that damn windmill in the back yard? Guess what, if it’s not blowing wind outside and they have somebody visiting the campus, they have a little electric motor that turns the blades. I’m serious. They have an electric motor so they can show people that wind power works. Unbelievable. And that’s the government that you have here in the state of Maine.
- Four seconds of every #1 Billboard hit since 1956:
Lot of whipsawing early on, with Elvis mixed in with Perry Como and Debbie Reynolds. Then Pat Boone. The Chipmunks. Sam Cooke—then Bobby Vinton ruling the charts until, wham, The Beatles arrive—and on (eventually) to David Bowie. One thing it does NOT capture is that most of these hits ruled for only one week, while others held the top spot for five weeks or longer.
- Senate committee approves Ernest Moniz for DOE in 21-1 vote:
Only one Republican, Sen. Tim Scott, voted against him. And his vote reflected broader frustration with President Barack Obama’s fiscal 2014 budget request, not Moniz’s record.
Moniz secured the support of bona fide conservatives, like Sens. John Barrasso and Mike Lee, who were won over, in part, by the nominee’s past support for natural gas.
- Mitt Romney says Obama was 'superb' in Boston:
“I must admit I was also very impressed with the words of the mayor, Mayor Menino, with our governor, Gov. Deval Patrick, and with the president,” Romney said, speaking on CNN’s “The Situation Room” several hours after the interfaith memorial service at which those leaders spoke. “I thought the president gave a superb address to the people of this city and the state and the nation. It was inspiring day.”
- Tom Coburn takes an impromptu dip at fund-raiser:
Sen. Tom Coburn took an accidental dip in a fountain at Wednesday night’s 31st March of Dimes Gourmet Gala. [...]
This wasn’t some quick toe-in-toe-out of a shallow fountain. The senator took a serious dive. When he emerged, he was soaked to his neck, his suit was sopping and ”water had to be poured from his cowboy boots.”
- Solar industry now employes 119,000 nationwide:
At a national level, the solar industry data added nearly 14,000 new jobs in 2012, a 13% growth rate over 2011 — 5 times the job growth rate of the overall economy. [...]
Last year, “the top ten states for solar jobs were: California, Arizona, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Colorado, New York, Texas, Michigan, and Ohio.” It is no coincidence that “the top three states for jobs are also the leaders in 2012 installed capacity.”
- Letter from family of Boston Marathon bombing victim LU Lingzi.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, nothing in the world existed this morning but the situation in Boston. Greg Dworkin and Armando joined us to watch the media circus. Did we treat it too lightly? Did we break a few rules, and take a few liberties with our listening guests? We did. We also looked away for a few minutes and connected some GunFAIL dots, realizing there was actually an accidental discharge at a gun show every single weekend in January! Just for kicks, we threw in stories about New York hipsters raising infants diaper-less, and physicists exploring whether the entire universe might be a computer simulation.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Angie in WA State, TrueBlueMajority, OLinda, eeff, BlackSheep1, navajo, Eyesbright, jnhobbs, jwinIL14, JeffW, LinSea, CamillesDad1, wintergreen8694, cactusgal, Eric Nelson, howabout
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- I often struggle to write about Memorial Day. It is about more ...81 comments 71 Recs
- On Thursday, May 21st, 2015, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, in response to window breaking during ...28 comments 52 Recs
- 4 comments 10 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25036)
- Community (91256)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56240)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46227)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15075)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28655)
- Libya (4270)