What do Mark Zuckerbeg, Michael Bloomberg, and George Lucas have in common with Spanx founder, Sara Blakely? No, no, it's not a slender behind. They are among the billionaires who have pledged to give at least half of their wealth to charity. Say again?
They signed The Giving Pledge:Other Giving Pledgers Include: David Rockefeller, Ted Turner, Reed Hastings, Richard Branson, Mark Zuckerbeg, and Michael Bloomberg.WHAT IS THE GIVING PLEDGE?Sara Blakely is the first self-made female billionaire to pledge. The Giving Pledge idea started with Warren Buffet and Bill and Melinda Gates in 2010 and has grown to 114 members, worldwide. Tuesday night, eight new Giving Pledge signatories were added.
The Giving Pledge is an effort to help address society's most pressing problems by inviting the world's wealthiest individuals and families to commit to giving more than half of their wealth to philanthropy or charity causes either during their lifetime or after their death.
Sara Blakely, 42, started her 100% privately owned slimming-undergarment company with $5,000. Many remember first seeing her on the Oprah Winfrey show. Blakely sent a basket of Spanx to Oprah, who loved the product and endorsed Spanx to the world. How wonderful to see women lifting each other up. (No, that pun was not intentional, but in finding it now, I'm owning it!) Blakely looks to pay Oprah's kindness forward. After Sara made the Forbes billionaire list, she was approached by Bill and Melinda Gates to join The Giving Pledge. Blakely says she wants to contribute to the empowerment of women who are under-served."Since I was a little girl I have always known I would help women. In my wildest dreams, I never thought I would have started with their butts…I have so much gratitude for being a woman in America. I never lose sight that I was born in the right country at the right time. And I never lose sight of the fact that there are millions of women around the world who are not dealt with the same deck of cards upon their birth."It's beautiful to see this small group from the '2%' giving back. The Giving Pledge is not without critics. Good and bad can be found in anyone and anything. I choose to see the good in this.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Odysseus, PeterHug, susans, ScienceMom, peacestpete, myboo, Yellow Canary, el cid, Stripe, JamieG from Md, Nica24, Fiddlegirl, Ohiodem1, thomask, poliwrangler, Heart n Mind, IndieGuy, a2nite, Ruh Roh, cassandracarolina, JayRaye, weck, unfangus
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Leslie Salzillo
- Terrible Presidential candidate Jeb Bush has had a very hard time distancing himself from his brother George Jr., the worst President in US history. Okay, maybe he is showing some of them ...29 comments 41 Recs
- The other day a guy tried to run me off the road. I was driving to work at around 70mph in heavy traffic. A large pickup passes me on the right, and then barrels into my lane with about 3 feet of ...74 comments 34 Recs
- A section of Refugio State Beach tainted by oil from burst pipe. Since 2006, the U.S. Pipeline and ...117 comments 148 Recs
- GOP 2016 hopefuls have decided it's all about the base on ...22 comments 23 Recs
- A portion of the 4-mile-wide oil spill near Santa Barbara, CA Campers at popular Refugio State Beach in California were alarmed by noxious fumes and notified authorities, who discovered ...102 comments 157 Recs
- I wanted to write about "Grace and Frankie" this week. The new series on Netflix stars Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda as two 70-something wives whose husbands ...180 comments 88 Recs
- Quick heads-up to remind my fellow progressives to be a bit more cautious when sharing anti-Hillary memes on the Net. Karl Rove and the Koch brothers are busy trying to undermine our strongest ...421 comments 183 Recs
- I guess this is the kind of heart-warming bipartisanship President Obama has been hoping for after all these years of tooth-and-nail opposition from Republicans: WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Top ...100 comments 97 Recs
- Last Thursday (May 7) here at Daily Kos, I published the first public disclosure of a shocking collapse of the state's voter registration system here in North Carolina under Republican Gov. Pat ...143 comments 389 Recs
- I don't know about you, but I am tired of these videos popping up with actual, factual brutality and sometimes DEATH of the alledged suspect at the hands of the police. This video below, will just ...147 comments 285 Recs
Leslie Salzillo's Blogroll
- No current results.