You can click here to sign Hagan's petition:Just last week, the Air Force Lt. Colonel in charge of sexual assault prevention was arrested for sexual battery. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg: The Pentagon’s own estimates suggest as many as 26,000 service members were assaulted in 2012. 26,000.
That’s unacceptable. Click here to sign our petition with EMILY's List telling Congress to pass legislation giving our troops the protection they deserve:
Worse still is that only an estimated 13 percent of those men and women reported the crime, and many of the cases were never acted on. In fact, even after a verdict is reached, senior military officers with no legal training can throw out the charges—even if there are serious conflicts of interest. That means many of our troops often have to fight for our country alongside those who abuse them.
We have to fix this. Sign now to tell Congress to act to prevent sexual assault in the military:
Our troops put themselves in harm's way every day. We owe it to them—and to our country—to ensure they can do their jobs without the threat of sexual violence.
Thanks for joining me to stand up for those who fight for us.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Kay Hagan (D. NC):
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...81 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...134 comments 218 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...271 comments 439 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...169 comments 298 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 58 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.