Just as in late 19th Century France, where Alsacian and other jews thought they were in France's mainstream what with the declaration of universal rights that had been the great hallmark of the French revolution and the spread of revolutionary values of egalite and fraternite throughout Europe (albeit forcibly by Napoleon initially and later through the agitation and empowerment of middle classes), nonwhite Americans have thought themselves liberated and included in the American mainstream as a result of the post World War II civil rights struggles (and labor struggles on California farms), Court rulings and progressive legislation. And yet when fabricated evidence was used to falsely label Dreyfus as a traitor, the entire French establishment piled on and let loose a wave of antisemitism that undermined civil society throughout Europe culminating in the atrocities of the Second World War. Isn't that what is happening now in the United States? Instead of there being a "Have You No Decency Moment", the American media establishment, at the behest of oligarchs and playing to prejudice, is attacking Obama as the other and judging him by standards never before applied in US history. One would think the forgeries and lies behind much of these attacks would be shouted from the mountain top and stop this cancer affecting our government and society. But they are ignored as the media and the Village attack the President for basically being black, while the legal and political foundations of our country are being rapidly undermined. J'Accuse.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by ProduceMan
- Here is a little suggestion to any other Democratic president that feels they have to put a republican in charge of defense or state to look credible: DON'T. I hope you have seen the error of ...166 comments 121 Recs
- “At times like this when CPS is making an attempt to close the most schools at one time in the nation, I don’t think you need another Columbine or Connecticut or another suicide because of ...75 comments 86 Recs
- I just finished reading the Frank Rich piece in the New York Times. This piece is disturbing, it talks about these crazies ...816 comments 450 Recs
- Deviating from his prepared remarks for his " State of the University " speech to the Boise State University community, BSU ...16 comments 27 Recs
- I've had it. I'm done. I have reached my limit on capitulation, corporatism, cronyism, and stupid. The Democratic Party is facing a do-or-die moment. It has a supermajority control of the ...1508 comments 1342 Recs
- Huffington Post today reports a strong message from Howard Dean on the fate of the Public Plan and the ...550 comments 942 Recs
- Rahm Emanuel's always been harder on progressives than he is on the Blue Dog Democrats. After all, he was the one who recruited most of these Blue Dogs to run for office, and he's a major ...344 comments 697 Recs
- We are in a war and the other side just invited us to conduct highly effective offensive ground operations literally on their front lawn. We must evaluate if the resources necessary to conduct that ...26 comments 46 Recs
- With all the hoopla over the healthcare debate and the usual tactics of our 'leaders' looking to screw us again over the public-option, my only question is, why isn't there a run on Washington of ...35 comments 12 Recs
- When conjuring municipal exemplars of smart growth, Tempe, Arizona, is not the first place that usually comes to mind. But the city of Tempe and ValleyMetro, the transit authority that provides the ...14 comments 20 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.