The land south of the mouth of the Columbia River in what is now the state of Oregon was originally inhabited by the Clatsop Indians. After signing a treaty with the United States in 1851 in which they ceded much of their land to the U.S., a Presidential executive order reserved the area presently known as Fort Stevens for military purposes.
The fort, which was constructed in 1863-1864, was named Fort Stevens in honor of Isaac Stevens, the first territorial governor of Washington. During his reign, Stevens arrogantly imposed a series of treaties on the Indian nations of the territory which led to a series of Indian wars. From an Indian viewpoint, Stevens was known for his bigotry, racism, and inability to understand any culture other than his own.
The United States, concerned about protecting the mouth of the Columbia River from foreign enemies, completed construction of Battery Russell in 1904. Named for Bvt. Major Gen. David A. Russell, the battery was armed with 10-inch disappearing rifles. These rifles had 35-foot barrels. During World War II, Battery Russell came under fire from a Japanese submarine, but could not return fire because the submarine was out of the range of its obsolete guns. It was deactivated in 1944.
Today, Battery Russell is a part of Fort Stevens State Park and tourists can be found wandering through the cement ruins reminiscent of European castles and ancient Roman edifices. Like the ancient Roman ruins, it will stand in 2,000 years as a monument to American civilization and its achievements. It is also listed a site of exceptional paranormal activity. Shown below are some photographs of the ruins.