Edward Snowden, the NSA whistleblower, is believed to have arrived in Moscow after Hong Kong authorities allowed him to leave despite a US request for his arrest.There's a recommended diary from flitedocnm discussing the news.
In a statement, WikiLeaks said the 30-year-old was heading to a democratic country "via a safe route" for asylum purposes and that the organisation was assisting at his request. Snowden had been in hiding in Hong Kong since identifying himself as the source of revelations on US surveillance programmes.
His flight from US authorities, which want to charge him with espionage, appeared set to continue with an onward flight west from Moscow to Havana on Monday. From there, various reports indicated that he would try to get to either Caracas or Quito.
[...] Snowden is believed to have boarded Aeroflot SU213 on Sunday morning, bound for Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport. Reuters cited an airline source who said the whistleblower would fly on to Cuba on Monday, before travelling on to Venezuela.
Snowden had earlier cited Iceland as a possible refuge in an interview with the Guardian.
In a statement, WikiLeaks said: "He is bound for a democratic nation via a safe route for the purposes of asylum, and is being escorted by diplomats and legal advisers from WikiLeaks.
"Mr Snowden requested that WikiLeaks use its legal expertise and experience to secure his safety. Once Mr Snowden arrives at his final destination his request will be formally processed."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Shockwave, chuco35, Boppy, lyvwyr101, laird, Tunk, koNko, gpoutney, cpresley, bluicebank, Involuntary Exile, J M F, CanyonWren, flitedocnm, Kristina40, IB JOHN, DRo, DEMonrat ankle biter, allergywoman, Whatithink, OldDragon, The Lone Apple, 3rock, LilithGardener, Adelante
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Jed Lewison
- After August's record-setting month, we got a bit of pullback in the numbers of uniques: September's 7.35 million unique visitors was over a ...45 comments 122 Recs
- Daily Kos was built on the notion that regular people were just as important in our political discourse as the so-called experts, that pundits didn't have a monopoly on wisdom, that power could be ...242 comments 500 Recs
- Food stamp enrollment numbers have been dropping from post-recession highs , as they were supposed to do all along. ...19 comments 46 Recs
- Following crazy record-setting months in June and July (I was on vacation in early August, so I didn't write that up), August has proven that Daily Kos is the place to be during heavy news periods. ...190 comments 238 Recs
- Yehuda Nir with his wife, Bonnie Maslin (click photo for larger version) Yehuda Nir died at the age of 84 on Saturday, peacefully and at home. He lived a remarkable life,150 comments 464 Recs
- I had said my piece , and I thought I was done. But there a couple of additional points I want to make, and then I"ll REALLY move on. 1. As a Latino, I do not feel safe in Arizona, a state that ...841 comments 547 Recs
- 95 comments 61 Recs
- Wish you were here. Do you remember Kentucky State Sen. Brandon Smith's (R-Again) explanation of why we needn't worry about climate change because "205 comments 199 Recs
- Summertime is generally quiet time for us, staff take vacations, tech can focus on forward-looking projects rather than scaling infrastructure, and we all get a mental break ahead of whatever ...353 comments 425 Recs
- The dev team is cranking hard to finish the next major revision of this site in time for the fall elections. At some point, we'll have an open beta so people can hunt down bugs and help us refine ...636 comments 267 Recs
Jed Lewison's Tags
- No current results.
Jed Lewison's Blogroll
- No current results.