"What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could not understand it, it could not be released because of national security. ...From the book They Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-45, by Milton Mayer.
"This separation of government from people, this widening of the gap, took place so gradually and so insensibly, each step disguised (perhaps not even intentionally) as a temporary emergency measure or associated with true patriotic allegiance or with real social purposes. And all the crises and reforms (real reforms, too) so occupied the people that they did not see the slow motion underneath, of the whole process of government growing remoter and remoter.
Many, many times since it all happened I have pondered that pair of great maxims, Principiis obsta and Finem respice—‘Resist the beginnings’ and ‘Consider the end.’ But one must foresee the end in order to resist, or even see, the beginnings."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by kenm
- Mike Brown was shot and killed by Officer Darren Wilson in broad daylight on a hot Saturday afternoon in Ferguson, Missouri. Consequently, eyewitnesses were standing at virtually every angle to ...72 comments 175 Recs
- This is the story of a remarkable group of young American men and women who defied their government and risked everything to fight for their ideological beliefs. It is an important chapter of ...88 comments 150 Recs
- “Under Andropov, the KGB grew noticeably in political power, in personnel, and even in the number of buildings its occupied . . . Andropov was probably not deliberately pursuing any evil goals ...80 comments 118 Recs
- In an initiative aimed at rooting out future leakers and other security violators, President Barack Obama has ordered federal employees to report suspicious actions of their colleagues based on ...108 comments 180 Recs
- Everything you put out on the internet, whether it is text messages, phone calls, emails, or web browsing, is being collected by the NSA. That much is proven. Only the amount of data that is ...255 comments 283 Recs
- When I learned last winter that I would have a seat on the Senate Banking Committee, I was very happy because I knew it would give me the opportunity to ask tough questions and push for some ...224 comments 886 Recs
- UPDATE: On the rec list! Thank you all so much! Keep spreading the word about Senator Begich's plan. He has the right idea about what to do to strengthen Social Security and we need to get ...71 comments 227 Recs
- Sunny day here, need to be out exercising. Have been reading the posts on Chained CPI will he won't , its not that bad, cutting granny instead of War Profitters is effed up..... Where Are Unions ...143 comments 147 Recs
- You know something you almost never hear from a. The White House, b. The Obama Campaign, c. Obama Cabinet officials, d. Obama appointees, or e., President Obama himself? This: I've been very ...511 comments 578 Recs
- I was skimming through articles at Google News this afternoon and saw an article titled, NYTimes: Yes, Mitt Romney pays his income taxes , I clicked through to find myself at the conservative blog, ...149 comments 317 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.