This snark, which led to some of the silliest and most WATB-ish comments I've ever seen this side of an NRA rally, is translated in literal declarative statements as follows:
1. Add some value to a diary beyond bringing attention to an MSM article.
2. Include some original thought beyond that in the article or by some other authority.
3. Derive your own conclusions rather than merely echoing prevailing narratives.
4. Don't pander to insider status with shout-outs and shibboleths.
5. Don't try to distract potential criticism by loading up on extraneous material.
I sure hope Salman Rushdie never makes the mistake of coming to Daily Kos. Unlike his previous subjects, this audience really can't handle criticism.