Lawmakers in both chambers and parties agree that Congress must act to protect businesses and vital computer networks from hackers, but they have deadlocked on the question of whether to impose new regulations. [...]That last one is the one to worry about, the closest counterpart to the House bill, coming from the Intelligence Committee, and from recent experience we know how little protecting individual privacy matters to Feinstein and Chambliss. As always, stay tuned.
The Commerce Committee's draft bill would task the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) with developing voluntary cybersecurity standards and best practices for critical infrastructure, such as banks and power plants. The legislation also aims to improve cybersecurity research, education and public awareness. [...]
Meanwhile, on the Senate Intelligence Committee, leaders Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) have been trying to hammer out a measure that's aimed at improving information sharing about cyber threats between industry and government.
Despite a White House veto threat, the Republican House passed CISPA in April. The White House had a number of reasons for opposing the cybersecurity bill, including (ironically) privacy, making the House bill essentially dead in the Senate. So now the Senate has started work on a narrower bill, with the hangup still being whether they should make private industry take any responsibility for its own protection.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, Gary Norton, Sun Tzu, leonard145b, Involuntary Exile, KJG52, This old man, Brown Thrasher, poopdogcomedy
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...266 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 253 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...106 comments 46 Recs
- (Click to enlarge) Follow Jen on Twitter at @...81 comments 95 Recs
- Seeking to avoid the multi-day saga that Jeb Bush endured ...145 comments 154 Recs
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island gave his 20-minute pilot floor speech on climate change in October 2011. But he began his weekly series with a climate change speech in April 2012. Since ...30 comments 80 Recs
- Presidential contender Marco Rubio is trying his level best to bring back the glory days of the Project for the New American Century, aka The People Who Brought You The Iraq War. Are you the sort ...75 comments 83 Recs
- Good day and welcome to DKos Asheville . This is the weekly DKos Asheville open thread for Saturday, May 15th. We try to get together every weekend to share with everyone what we're all up to in ...13 comments 21 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.