Concept and Definition of Critical Thinking
Why Critical Thinking?
Everyone thinks. It is our nature to do so. But much of our thinking, left to itself, is biased, distorted, partial, uninformed, or downright prejudiced. Yet, the quality of our life and that of what we produce, make, or build depends precisely on the quality of our thought. Shoddy thinking is costly, both in money and in quality of life. Excellence in thought, however, must be systematically cultivated.
Critical thinking is that mode of thinking — about any subject, content, or problem — in which the thinker improves the quality of his or her thinking by skillfully analyzing, assessing, and reconstructing it. Critical thinking is self-directed, self-disciplined, self-monitored, and self-corrective thinking. It presupposes assent to rigorous standards of excellence and mindful command of their use. It entails effective communication and problem-solving abilities, as well as a commitment to overcome our native egocentrism and sociocentrism.
To Analyze Thinking
Identify its purpose, and question at issue, as well as its information, inferences(s), assumptions, implications, main concept(s), and point of view.
To Assess Thinking
Check it for clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, significance, logic, and fairness.
A well-cultivated critical thinker: Raises vital questions and problems, formulating them clearly and precisely
Gathers and assesses relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively
Comes to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions, testing them against relevant criteria and standards
Thinks openmindedly within alternative systems of thought, recognizing and assessing, as needs be, their assumptions, implications, and practical consequences
Communicates effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by thinkingblue
- Two days ago, Michele Bachmann—once ...300 comments 423 Recs
- Not really. But If I were, this is the sign I would put in my door. "Dear Valued Patrons. Due to my sincerely held religious beliefs, and in light of the RFRA, recently signed by our Dear ...372 comments 740 Recs
- It is incredibly important that news headlines, pundits, bloggers, and activists are once again discussing heinous tortures perpetrated by our government—excused and explained away by the ...173 comments 208 Recs
- Last night, Bill Maher delivered a blistering final New Rule about what the matter with Kansas is. And finally, New Rule: scientists must conduct a study to determine which is easier to distract ��86 comments 192 Recs
- 32 comments 28 Recs
- Last night, Jon Stewart used Dick Cheney's own words against him as he now tries to attack Obama for seeming weak on what to do with the worsening situation in Iraq. By the way, Mr. Cheney there, ...27 comments 40 Recs
- Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council implied yesterday that pro-gay Christians are not 'real Christians' and are not protected by the First Amendment to the US Constitution as are ...80 comments 48 Recs
- Rep. Janice Hahn attended the annual non-partisan National Day of Prayer gathering on Capitol Hill yesterday, expecting a unified, peaceful event. But after listening to Dr. James Dobson from ...528 comments 672 Recs
- We have met the barbarian and he is us : The United Nations human rights office on Friday condemned the bungled and chaotic execution of an ...43 comments 74 Recs
- April 28 update: Heartland Institute APOLOGIZED, and took down the offending meme! Details here: Heartland Institute Backpedals on George Carlin Bastardized Quote-Meme ! = = = = = = = = = = = =217 comments 571 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.