Today's been a very weird day, weather-wise. Moments of beautiful sun followed by rains so heavy the emergency weather alert activated on cell phones throughout the region. Oh, and then there was driving to pick K1 up from the camp she's a Counselor-In-Training at this year... complete and utter downpour while the sun shone brightly down on the road. I'm sure the conditions were perfect for rainbows but I only saw one in the reflection out of my driver's side window, and I didn't think it was safe to photograph that while driving :). For a selection of weather-inspired tunes, follow me below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosagnocchi dividerthingie awning fold after a word from our sponsor...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
* Between The Raindrops - Lifehouse featuring Natasha Bedingfield If someone truly loves me, they'll go to great lengths to NOT walk with me in rain. Unless the conditions are perfect (warm, light rain, and near dry clothes) I'm not romantically inclined in the slightest :).
* Fire And Rain - James Taylor Not really about weather, but fit today beautifully.
* Here Comes The Sun - covered by Beatlejuice featuring Brad Delp K1 walked by, heard this version, and said "I can't listen without crying" then stayed to listen.
* Butterflies and Hurricanes - Muse Inspired by the butterfly effect of chaos theory, I'm sure that explains the changeable weather we have. Damned butterflies over in Indonesia!
* Here Comes The Rain Again - Eurythmics While I love this song, I do hope the rain's over for the night!
What songs do today's weather bring to mind? Please share in the comments!
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From Lefty Coaster:I thought the letter reprinted in this comment by in2mixin was outstanding.
From blueoregon:Nominating chrississippi's comment in Meteor Blades' diary North Carolina legislature determined to suppress voter turnout. Old times there not forgotten because in order for us to win, we need the party backing us up.
Flagged by smartalek, this comment by LilithGardener gives a practical response to NC's attempt to squash the student vote.
From Yours Truly, brillig:From Meteor Blades' voter suppression diary comes smiley7's list of changes the NC Legislature wants to make to voter laws. If there's a plausible reason for ANY of them besides voter suppression, I've got beachfront property in the Sahara to sell you.
Top Mojo for yesterday, July 22nd, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) Sadly, Republicans are still allowed on planes. by Flying Goat — 160
2) You left out the most important part of story... by bobswern — 129
3) Discovery is a Two Way Street. by LeftOfYou — 121
4) Can I bring nail clippers and shampoo yet? by voracious — 119
5) She was supposed to be a quiet little mouse... by Meteor Blades — 119
6) Hmm. Maybe we should comb through NR by westyny — 111
7) Hmmm. by martydd — 108
8) Someone should take that threat from NR by teacherken — 101
9) Besides, what could go wrong? by slowbutsure — 97
10) And I, for one, simply don't care who threw... by dream weaver — 95
11) Along with Bernie Sanders by fat old man — 89
12) Well, yeah, 'cause by blueoregon — 87
13) I think it will backfire in the case of by blueoregon — 83
14) He surprises me sometimes. by TomP — 80
15) Obama is more subtle than Bush by FishOutofWater — 68
16) It may backfire just enough by Puddytat — 69
17) Who's talking of shaming them? by Farugia — 63
18) Tipped and rec'd and totally agree. N/t by Little Lulu — 63
19) but look at all the laws by Laurence Lewis — 62
20) First they came for the Muslims by Dallasdoc — 60
21) As a Brit, by AnnetteK — 58
22) My money is on lying. by aoeu — 58
23) Thanks for the update by Tara the Antisocial Social Worker — 57
24) Of course, as climate change gets worse, by corvo — 57
25) must be nice, nice, nice - two parties doing fine by Don midwest — 57
26) These are no decent human beings. by TomP — 55
27) Transparency and Open Government by allenjo — 54
28) So long as they don't hit a window.. by Burned — 54
29) All of this tells me Warren is doing her job, by commonmass — 54
30) Has no Republican by Nada Lemming — 53
Top Cats for yesterday, July 22nd. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!