Aug 12 (Reuters) - Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell on Monday called on the Obama administration to delay the Oct. 1 opening of exchanges where uninsured Americans will be able to buy health insurance until the U.S. government can guarantee the protection of people's personal data. [...]Will it work? No. The administration isn't going to delay the opening of the exchanges. Which means it won't work to appease the defund or bust crowd, either. McConnell is going to have to decide whether or not he'll try to shut down government to save his own primaried ass, or do the right thing for the GOP's long-term prospects. Given it's McConnell we're talking about here, we'd better get ready for the shutdown.
In a letter to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the agency taking the lead in implementing the law, McConnell said that "Americans should not be forced into the exchanges, and certainly not without these assurances" that personal and financial data will be safe from "hackers and cyber criminals."
"If you rush to go forward without adequate safeguards in place," McConnell added, "any theft of personal information from constituents will be the result of your rush to implement a law to meet the agency's political needs and not the operational needs of the people it is supposed to serve."
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is in quite the bind these days. He's got a troubled reelection campaign and a very real need to prove his teabaggie bona fides in a primary back home. And he's got a kamikaze crew of 2016 wannabes trying to force him to wreck the party's prospects—and hurt his own general election outlook—for 2014 by shutting down government. What's an unprincipled, embattled and weakened politician to do? Try to find a compromise that he can try to sell to the crazies—delay Obamacare because it's evil.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, dpc, johanus, Tunk, vigilant meerkat, weneedahero, Matt Z, MI Sooner, leonard145b, JeffW, Lujane, J M F, Kansas Born, Railfan, tvanel, ban nock, Mr MadAsHell, FarWestGirl, IllanoyGal, createpeace, blue aardvark, a2nite, PowWowPollock, poopdogcomedy, MARTinNJ, aresea, Dodgerdog1, maryannm
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- Need a bit of inspiration this morning? I've got just the story for you. On Tuesday, two men showed up on a street corner in Tillamook, Oregon, with signs reading "Homo sex is sin" and "Jesus said ...112 comments 410 Recs
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 254 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...106 comments 46 Recs
- (Click to enlarge) Follow Jen on Twitter at @...81 comments 95 Recs
- Seeking to avoid the multi-day saga that Jeb Bush endured ...145 comments 154 Recs
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island gave his 20-minute pilot floor speech on climate change in October 2011. But he began his weekly series with a climate change speech in April 2012. Since ...30 comments 80 Recs
- Presidential contender Marco Rubio is trying his level best to bring back the glory days of the Project for the New American Century, aka The People Who Brought You The Iraq War. Are you the sort ...75 comments 84 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.