There's still one person we haven't heard from in the Syria bombing debate, the prospective bombee. That's about to change in our new segment, What Does the Guy We're Thinking of Bombing Think About Us Bombing Him?Video below the fold.
Yes, Syrian president Bashir Assad sat down recently with Charlie Rose for an interview about the very subject. And I'll tell you what, I'm just going to write down what I think he's going to say about us bombing him.BASHIR AL-ASSAD (9/8/2013): We've been living in difficult circumstances for the last two years and a half. ... It's going to get worse with any foolish strike or stupid war.Oh, he's against it! I had down "please bomb me".
Oh, that's so weird! And for some reason, it didn't come out written with the ink of the pen I'm holding! I probably should've thought of that. But I didn't.
All right, let's hear Assad's arguments against bombing.BASHIR AL-ASSAD (9/8/2013): This is the war that's going to support al-Qaeda and the same people that kill Americans on the 11th of September."Oh, don't bomb me, that would help al-Qaeda." So? Maybe we wanted to help them... fuck! All right, you got a pretty good point there. What about all the evidence against you?
9/8/2013:You needlessly invade one country based on false evidence, and suddenly you're bad at war! Come on! We've had a very solid war career, very solid! Between 40 to 60% justified. But all anybody wants to talk about is the most recent one of the wrong ones. It's like we're the Bill Buckner of superpowers now. Anywhere we go in the world, everybody's like, (in slow chant) "Anthrax! Anthrax!"
CHARLIE ROSE: Secretary Kerry has said there is evidence that the assault rockets were fired from a region controlled by your forces. ...
BASHIR AL-ASSAD: That reminds me about what Kerry said about the big lie that Colin Powell said in front of the world on satellites about the WMD in Iraq before going to war when he said, "this is our evidence." Actually he gave false evidence.
And that wasn't the worst part. Assad even used our own system of democracy against us!BASHIR AL-ASSAD (9/8/2013): I think the most important part of this now is, let's say the American people, but the polls show that the majority now don't want the war anywhere, not only against Syria.What kind of balls does a ruthless dictator have to cite public opinion polls? You know, you might want to slow down there, Mr. Gallup, I'm pretty sure gassing your own people ain't hitting double digits either.
But of course, if Assad's oral argument fails to persuade, there's always threats.9/8/2013:Expect everything!
CHARLIE ROSE: Will there be attacks against American bases in the Middle East if there's an airstrike? ...
BASHIR AL-ASSAD: You should expect everything. You should expect everything.
Is Assad... is he threatening us, or pitching a new tourism slogan? "Here, your dreams are attainable. Syria: Expect Everything!"
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
glitterscale, cotterperson, Texknight, Frank Vyan Walton, Kevskos, boofdah, BachFan, AoT, millwood, TDDVandy, ericlewis0, MRA NY, Catkin
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by BruinKid
- [Mikey Weinstein]: This guest Op-Ed from my dear friend, Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF) Advisory Board member, and former Secretary of State Colin Powell’s Chief of Staff Lawrence ...6 comments 44 Recs
- I just got this note from Jack Thompson, Cedwyn's father. "Cedwyn passed away tonight, quietly, gracefully and at peace." He continued "Please pass our appreciation and gratitude to all of the ...267 comments 718 Recs
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 715 Recs
- Hi folks, I am writing this at Dulles Airport, and I've just come from Cedwyn's parents house, which is where she's staying. Her parents are wonderful and they are giving her the best possible care ...165 comments 529 Recs
- Originally posted at Eclectablog Speaking at a New Hampshire Legislative Leaders Breakfast this morning, Republican presidential contender Rand Paul made it clear what he thinks about people who ...219 comments 115 Recs
- Winners and New Champions: Shirt Pleat (DLCC) Oh, we've had protests before, and costumes, and chants and merriment, but this year's Netroots Nation Chaiman's Pub Quiz featured two elements we've ...24 comments 24 Recs
- I am a brown woman of childbearing age with a young child. This is what my possible future will look like if everyone only voted for candidates that meet a "purity" test.692 comments 282 Recs
- I'll keep my commentary short.... but... wow. Kudos to Mother Jones for digging into this . Certainly an interesting read: Today, the 68-year-old Bob Dowlut is the general counsel of the National ...126 comments 387 Recs
- Those who've seen my rantings here on Daily Kos know that as I'm an atheist, I have little patience for religion at all. I agree with the sentiment that it is "easily weaponized superstitious hokum."462 comments 368 Recs
- AFTER DINNER WALK FALL 2013 Badger passed away on Sunday July 13th. In his home as he wished, to Monty Pythons video from the Life of Brian “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”. I wish I ...174 comments 939 Recs
- No current results.