EVERYONE is welcome and please join us each morning at 7:30 AM PACIFIC
to tell us what you're working on, share your show & tell, vent, whatever you want...
...this is an open thread. Nothing is off topic.
Got a favorite day trip?
Writing about migrant workers in yesterday's final Hummingbird Blogathon diary brought back bittersweet memories of spending the day in Watsonville two years ago with a group of kossacks visiting undocumented migrant workers. For several reasons, I think it may've been my favorite day trip in memory. It certainly was in recent memory in any case.
1. Hanging out with kossacks offline is always good. No armor plating needed. Even after a couple dozen meetups (from just 2 folks to a cast of 1000s) the "thrill" of it doesn't phase.
2. It represented a return of sorts to a group of folks (immigrant farm workers) that I hadn't been around recently. There were moments both of great joy and sadness that day.
3. I was still 3 weeks away from being employed at the time, was stone-broke, had to borrow fifty cents from citisven (I didn't know he was going to charge me interest) to get home, but still had a fantastic experience.
4. Got to meet several wonderful kossacks for the first time, including Meteor Blades (see below for discussion).
Rules for meeting Meteor Blades
A. Be prepared to realize you only know half of what you thought you knew. The encyclopedia is open 24/7, never closes, and knows more info than you on any subject you attempt to look up. Try to accept that in with good grace.
B. Bring a pen to take notes.
D. Forget all those negative things about Diet Coke for a day.
F. Nevertheless, be prepared to learn rule A over and over again.
G. Those questions on the meaning of life, the ones you just know that only MB knows, will seem pointless while you're talking with him.
I. Be prepared to learn rule F over and over again.
J. Don't try to help him carry anything.
Latest Updates on Kossack Regional Meet-Up News Below the New Day sunrise cloud
Let's build communities!
Every region needs a meatspace community like SFKossacks.
We take care of each other in real life.
I urge YOU to take the lead and organize one in your region.
Please tell us about it if you do and we're here for advice.
THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY
NEW GROUPS IN THE PROCESS OF ORGANIZING:These are the groups that have started since * NEW DAY * began. Please Kosmail navajo if you have started a group before that.
Send a Kosmail to the organizers and ask for an invitation to the group.• Northern Indiana Area: Kosmail Tim Delaney
• Long Island: Kosmail grannycarol
• Northern Michigan: Kosmail JillS
• Nebraska: Kosmail Nebraska68847Dem
• Westburbia Chicago Kossacks: Kosmail Majordomo
• New York Hudson Valley Kossacks: Kosmail boran2
• North Carolina Triangle Kossacks: Kosmail highacidity
• Caprock Kossacks (Panhandle/Caprock/Lubbock/Amarillo area) : Kosmail shesaid
• West Texas Kossacks (including Big Bend Region and El Paso) : Kosmail Yo BubbaNote to the above new leaders: Feel free to leave a comment any day reminding readers about your new group. Also, tell us about your progress in gathering members. Kosmail me when you've chosen a good name for your group and have created a the group. Then I'll move you to the NEW GROUPS LIST. When you've planned a date for your first event I'll make a banner for you to highlight your event in our diaries and your diaries.
NEW GROUPS LIST:
• Kansas City Kossacks - Formed Oct 15, 2012, Organizer: [Founder stepped down]
ESTABLISHED GROUPS LIST: (List will grow as we discover them)
Sunday, Sept 15th
Chicago Kossacks Meet-up at a Powwow!
TIME: 11:30 AM
LOCATION: Chicago's 60th Annual American Indian Center Powwow
Busse Woods Forest Preserve • Elk Grove Village
UPDATE! Chicago Blackhawks 2013 Championship Stanley Cup trophy will be on display at the Powwow from 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
ORGANIZER: Send figbash a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: Heads Up Chicago. Our Powwow meet-up is on Sunday
3. Mr. broths
5. Liberal Granny
7. Expat Okie
Saturday, September 21st
Los Angeles Kossacks Meet-up
TIME: 2:00 PM
LOCATION: The Federal Bar
5303 Lankershim Boulevard • North Hollywood
(One block from North Hollywood Red Line Station)
ORGANIZER: Send Dave in Northridge a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: LA Kossacks: Meetup: September 21, 2:00 PM, North Hollywood, The Federal
1. Dave in Northridge
7. Joe Bacon
9. Gay CA Democrat
11. joe markowitz
DeKalb, Illinois KossacksSaturday, September 21st
DeKalb, Illinois Kossacks Dinner & a Show!
TIME: 5:30 PM
LOCATION: Rosita's Mexican Restaurant
642 East Lincoln Highway • DeKalb
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: The Stage Coach Players Theater
126 South 5th Street (2 blks. from dinner) • DeKalb
ORGANIZER: Send NormAl1792 a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: Northern IL Kossacks Dinner and a Show - Saturday, Sept. 21
1. NormAl1792 (on stage as Henry II)
4. Mr. luvs
6. Amber6541's sister
7. 1864 House
Farm Day for Oregon Kossacks! Baby Goat and Goat Cheese Edition
TIME: Anytime, all day!
LOCATION: Oregon Gal's farm
Address given privately • Alsea, Oregon
ORGANIZER: Send Oregon Gal a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: Oregon Kossacks: FARM DAY! (with baby goats)
1. Oregon Gal
2. Sara R
4. Horace Boothroyd III
5. Blue Jessamine
Saturday, September 28th
Indianapolis Kossacks First Ever Meet-up
TIME: 2:00 PM
LOCATION: Shapiro's Deli
808 S Meridian • Downtown Indianapolis
ORGANIZER: Send CityLightsLover a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: [Waiting for linked diary]
4. Alexandra Lynch
Saturday, October 19th
DKos Asheville Kossacks Meet-up
TIME: 1:00 PM
LOCATION: The Bywater
796 Riverside Dr. • Asheville
ORGANIZER: Send randallt a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: DKos Asheville - Weekly Open Thread
7. Sandy on Signal
8. Mr Sandy on Signal
11. Mr Alecia
people power granny
One Pissed Off Liberal
Christian Dem in NC
Phil S 33
Sunday, October 20th
MEGA Philly/NJ/NYC Kossacks Meet-up!
LOCATION: Stuff Yer Face
49 Easton Avenue • New Brunswick, NJ
ORGANIZER: Send mconvente a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: Philly/NJ/NYC Mega Meetup! Initial Information & Interest Diary
2. belinda ridgewood
11. blue jersey mom
aravir and son
Friday, October 25th
LAKossacks & SoCal Inland Empire See Lewis Black!
TIME: 9:00 PM
LOCATION: Agua Caliente Casino Resort & Spa
32-250 Bob Hope Dr. • Rancho Mirage
ORGANIZER: Send 714day a kosmail to attend.
Latest diary: L.A. Kossacks, Lewis Black Fans in So Cal
Friday, October 25th
Meet the Daily Kos Editorial Staff!
TIME: 6:00 PM
LOCATION: Daily Kos HQ
Address given privately to RSVP'ers • Berkeley
ORGANIZER: Send navajo a kosmail to attend.
You will need to bring Potluck.
HQ will be providing the main course like before. Please sign up for a beverages or side dishes below.
- POTLUCK SIGNUP BELOW -
16 six-packs of beer
20 bottles of wine
4 packs Bottles of water
4 packs Soft Drinks
I'll be bringing my large ice chest with ice, as before.
Anything goes here. Whatcha' got?
5 green salads needed, each to feed 10 [1 down, 4 to go]
6 desserts, a dozen hand-held desserts each
2. Susan Gardner
3. Meteor Blades
4. Faith Gardner
5. Will Rockafellow
and many more staff... stay tuned
8. side pocket
15. remembrance +TLO?
16. Glen the Plumber
19. ceebee7 + green salad
21. Dave in Northridge
SFKossacks BBQ in the Wine Country
LOCATION: Andrew McGuire's home in the Wine Country
Address to be given privately to RSVPs • Windsor
1. Andrew McGuire
6. Hunter/elfling offspring
14. Mr. dksbook
17. side pocket
18. Mrs. side pocket
20. ceebee7's sister
21. leema (will carpool from Marin)
22. Meteor Blades
Glen The Plumber
Send navajo a kosmail if you post a diary about an event so we can update our round-up.
Okay. Floor's open.
Tell us what you are doing on this NEW DAY?