When I go to my User Page, right up in the top left under my username it says
Joined: Sep 24, 2004
Hey, today is September 24th! It must be my Joinaversary! Follow me below the
dingledoodle squigglie dKosagnocchi dividerthingie fold for a few thoughts, after a word from our sponsor of course...
Here at Top Comments we strive to nourish community by rounding up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd & most informative commentary, and we depend on your help!! If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it either to topcomments at gmail or to the Top Comments group mailbox by 9:30pm Eastern. Please please please include a few words about why you sent it in as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already :-)), so we can credit you with the find!
Nine years and I haven't GBCW'ed yet, or TTFN'ed, and have no plans to do either :). I haven't gotten bojo'ed, thankfully, and absolutely have no plans to do so.
I don't comment nearly as often as I used to, mostly because life is a lot busier for me than it was back in 2004. However, I have managed to post over 11300 comments since that first one back on October 14th 2004.
Things have changed around the site since then, too. The look has changed, although the orange has remained. People have come, and gone, and new people have come, and old people have come back. The conversations change with the electoral and societal seasons; cycling though wars, primaries, scandals, terrorism and natural disasters. There are periodic pie fights, or sux/rox fights, or whatever we're calling them these days, and I wonder if we plotted them out if there's a cycle to them, too.
I learned here that communities can and do form electronically just as readily as in physical space, and that taking them to real-life meetups and conferences is simply meeting up with your family of choice, not introducing yourself to strangers. Some of my best and closest friends are people I met here first:), and when I get a friend request on Facebook, go look and see "You have 94 mutual friends" I know they're a Kossack too.
I don't have a big Meaning Of Life wrap-up statement here... just a "thank you". Thank you for being here when you can, and for making the site what it is. Whether we've met in person or not, or had long comment threads together or don't frequent the same diaries, you make Daily Kos what it is, and that makes you important to me.
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
OK, I do have a statement... we cannot BE Top Comments without, well... comments. We need you to send in that funny, insightful, brilliant, snarky, said-exactly-what-you-would-have comment when you see it, so that everyone else sees it too. The mailboxes were empty tonight, and as a Joinaversary present to me (or as an UnJoinaversary present to yourself :-)) please remember to send a comment in for tomorrow's diary!
This comment by Hohenzollern was flagged by merrywidow.
From Yours Truly, brillig:In Delete My Account KOS by josephk, Bob Johnson recounts his attempt to have kos delete his account.
Top Mojo for yesterday, September 23rd, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) Most of the GOP is in This Editorial Cartoon by JekyllnHyde — 103
2) We Are the Government. Government is One Tool by Gooserock — 91
3) This is always the worry with the Clintons. by Bindle — 81
4) Awesome article. by earicicle — 78
5) It shows that intelligence alone by TomP — 77
6) The 1% are worried. by TomP — 71
7) I look forward to McCain's bellicosity... by Trix — 70
8) a single act of journalism by jfromga — 70
9) Chuck Todd by TDDVandy — 69
10) Not as much as many think by DeminNewJ — 69
11) Excellent reporting by War on Error — 60
12) You're going to make a lot of by corvo — 58
13) I'd rather vote for an atheist by Cali Scribe — 57
14) Cruz is smart and cunning but lacks empathy by Gurnt — 54
15) That's nice, lunch. by CwV — 50
16) Hate sells, and we know who's buying. by 3rdOption — 50
17) :-) by Trix — 50
18) If yov insist on yovr right to vse by Its the Supreme Court Stupid — 49
19) A lady tried to "convert" my second oldest by doingbusinessas — 49
20) Moose season may end soon... by BenderRodriguez — 47
21) How cool is this? by navajo — 46
22) Happy Moodai Ms. Tricia... hope you are feeling by Statusquomustgo — 46
23) U.S. is far from 30% renewables by FishOutofWater — 46
24) actually, that's not a bad idea... by wdrath — 46
25) I wish you wouldn't do that by Just Bob — 46
26) What a nice weekend I had. by Eddie C — 46
27) hai by Debbie in ME — 45
28) I will never understand by LeftHandedMan — 46
29) ohai hai by kishik — 45
30) Lakeside Cheers & Jeers by mayim — 45
Top Pictures for yesterday, September 23rd. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!