"[The Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services] is pleased to approve Arkansas’s Medicaid 1115 Waiver application," Medicare spokeswoman Emma Sandoe said in a statement. "Arkansas and CMS worked together to find flexibilities that gave the state the tools to build a program that worked for them and their residents. We appreciate the collaboration with Arkansas throughout the process and applaud their commitment to providing Arkansans with access to high-quality health coverage."Iowa has a similar waiver pending with the CMS. Now that Arkansas' has been approved, some of the undecided states, or even the states that have already rejected it, could pursue these same waivers. Privatizing Medicaid, directing public funds to private insurers is obviously a mixed bag. Subsidizing insurance companies so directly, even beyond what the tax credits for insurance premiums on exchange plans, is not great precedent. But, and this is a pretty significant but, hundreds of thousands more people could get coverage if more states pursue this kind of waiver.
There are about 200,000 Arkansans who qualify for the Medicaid expansion. Instead of having them enroll in the public program, like other states will do, Arkansas will send them to their new health insurance marketplace to buy individual plans. When they get to the point of purchase, the Medicaid agency will foot the tab for their health insurance coverage.
Arkansas Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe wanted to expand Medicaid in his state under Obamacare, to provide health care coverage to thousands of low-income residents who don't qualify for existing Medicaid and don't have enough income to get insurance on the new exchange. He had to convince his Republican legislature, however, that it was a good idea. There was only one way they'd accept it: with a waiver from the federal government that would allow the state to use the Medicaid expansion money to purchase private coverage for those people. On Friday, he got that waiver.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
fcvaguy, Odysseus, annan, defluxion10, Nance, golem, Gorette, gpoutney, mconvente, Involuntary Exile, Notreadytobenice, nickrud, Betty Pinson, annieli, thomask, worldlotus, Mostel26, This old man, terrybuck, Says Who, TheDuckManCometh
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- Early results in the marriage equality referendum indicate a very strong showing for the yes vote. It's looking like a celebratory mood is emerging already within the Irish gay community, although ...185 comments 177 Recs
- Let’s say that you are a bit older, overweight, out of shape, and making your only visit to Glacier National Park. Now this is a National Park filled with hiking trails and lots of young, ...15 comments 37 Recs
- Need a bit of inspiration this morning? I've got just the story for you. On Tuesday, two men showed up on a street corner in Tillamook, Oregon, with signs reading "Homo sex is sin" and "Jesus said ...120 comments 422 Recs
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...267 comments 288 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 256 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...106 comments 47 Recs
- (Click to enlarge) Follow Jen on Twitter at @...81 comments 95 Recs
- Seeking to avoid the multi-day saga that Jeb Bush endured ...145 comments 154 Recs
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island gave his 20-minute pilot floor speech on climate change in October 2011. But he began his weekly series with a climate change speech in April 2012. Since ...30 comments 82 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.