You can click here to learn more about Weiland's campaign:South Dakota Senate candidate Rick Weiland today blasted the national media for its "100% total and absolute failure to report on the blizzard disaster that decimated Western South Dakota last weekend."
“If that storm had happened in New York, where the big money owns the media, it would have been front page and lead story on every media outlet in the nation," Weiland said. "We just had our ‘Sandy’ out here in Western South Dakota and ranching families have been completely abandoned. The most important industry in half our state, ranching, saw its major asset, its herds, laid waste and there’s hardly been one peep out of the national networks," Weiland said."In a day and age when disaster assistance unfortunately depends as much on how much coverage a disaster receives as it does on how bad the disaster actually was, the abject failure of the national media to report on the catastrophic results of this blizzard is going to cost our ranchers a whole lot of money," Weiland predicted.
Weiland, who served for four years as Region 8 director of FEMA, said he has asked friends in the Administration to try to make sure Western South Dakota does not get short changed just because the national media decided our troubles should be made invisible, "but frankly, when there is no public sympathy for the victims of a disaster because the public does not even know one has occurred, that cannot help but hurt our chances for significant relief," Weiland said.
"When you add together lack of public attention outside South Dakota and the breathtakingly irresponsible shutdown of government going on in Washington, my fear is that Western South Dakota is in for another blizzard, a blizzard of neglect from their country that they absolutely do not deserve."
Received this e-mail today from U.S. Senate candidate Rick Weiland's (D. SD) campaign regarding the huge blizzard that hit South Dakota last weekend:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, Bob Love, greenbird, viral, kurt, terabytes, Empower Ink, Scientonymous, Lujane, Louisiana 1976, Democrats Ramshield, SoCalSal, jan4insight
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...99 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...137 comments 222 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...284 comments 442 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 299 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.