From Bloomberg Business Week:
CBS News’ “60 Minutes” said it is weighing whether to correct a report about the 2012 attack on the U.S. mission compound in Benghazi, Libya.(my bold)
“‘60 Minutes’ has learned of new information that undercuts the account told to us by Morgan Jones of his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound,” CBS Corp. (CBS:US)’s news organization said today in an e-mailed statement. “We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction.”
The "new information" appears to be the discovery that Morgan Jones, a.k.a. Dylan Davies, was personally interviewed by the FBI, and gave them a very different account from what he told Lara Logan at CBS. From The New York Times:
Dylan Davies, a security officer hired to help protect the United States Special Mission in Benghazi, Libya, told the F.B.I. he did not go there the night terrorists attacked it on Sept. 11, 2012, an account that contradicts a version of events he gave in a recently published book and in an interview to the CBS News program “60 Minutes.”http://www.nytimes.com/...
The information he provided in an F.B.I. interview was described Thursday by two senior government officials as completely consistent with an incident report by the Blue Mountain security business, which had been hired to protect United States interests in Benghazi. The officials who spoke said they had been briefed on the government investigation.
The incident report described Mr. Davies as remaining at the villa he occupied in Libya and not getting to the scene on the night of the attack. In the version he wrote in his book and gave to “60 Minutes,” Mr. Davies said he left the villa that night to visit a hospital, where he said he saw the body of the deceased ambassador, J. Christopher Stevens, and twice rushed to the scene of the attack.
I hope the folks at 60 Minutes responsible for airing this sham of a report are held to account, preferably by being fired.
Action: Media Matters has set up a petition you can sign -- Tell CBS News: Explain or Retract Discredited Eyewitness Report:
From jj32 in the comments:
* [new] Judd Legum and others pointing out on (1+ / 0-)
twitter, that CBS has taken down the Benghazi story from their website. Also the video of the story.