My brain is out to lunch today - wandering thoughts do not an efficient worker make.
Instead, I started contemplating these past five or six years since the crash and how they have affected me, those I care about, and our nation as a whole. I was hit hard, early on, and have been in recovery mode for the past two-three years. Some of my friends were hit later and are having the worst of it now, while others were hit hard back then and are still struggling.
I am thankful for being as busy as I am. The construction business is booming again here in SoCal, and my business has been steady for almost two years now. However, recovery has not been easy. As busy as I am, catching up financially after having - literally - zero income for three years is like being on a hamster wheel. Every time I feel like I'm finally getting a little ahead, something comes up to set me back again.
After the crash, all of us architects were pretty desperate. Some still are. In my case, I took a lot of jobs that I knew would be a bitch, just because I didn't have a choice. Difficult clients, difficult projects, impossible budgets.... there were times, for the first time in my career, that I really started hating my job.
In short, I feel like the past five years have been an endless series of Rocky movies; I win in a couple, but I'm beat up and exhausted, and there's a part XVII right around the corner and nobody wants to see it.
So I started daydreaming about what I wish for 2014, and I'm interested in hearing your stories and wishes too. Jump with me below the fold and let's share!
My 2014 Wish List (including but not limited to by any means!):Please share your experiences in these troubled times, and your wishes for the new year!
- Bigger and better projects
- A reserve account in the bank (even small - just something for a rainy day or even a rainy hour!)
- My dad's cancer is kept at bay
- Good jobs for those that I love, who have been battling this economy like goddamn champs.
- Good jobs for all those talented Americans out there; our country suffers when the energies of our people sit idle.
- A Democratic House and Senate, populated with good progressives... let's begin to restore this once great nation
And, what self-respecting American wouldn't include at least one totally materialistic, frivolous and unnecessary wish... just for shits and giggles:
2014 Chevy Camaro SS Convertible