- ThinkProgress chronicles decades of right-wing opposition to Nelson Mandela, and support for the apartheid regime.
- This is perhaps not the best way to argue for more leniency in your client's murder sentence:
But at Everett's sentencing hearing yesterday—at which he was served a sentence of 29 years to life—defense attorney John Scarpa caught the ire of the judge when he argued against the victim's character. "Shouldn’t that [sentence] be reserved for people who are guilty of killing certain classes of individuals?" he reportedly asked, adding, "Who is the victim in this case? Is the victim a person in the higher end of the community?"I think the message here is: if they're not a straight white dude, kill at will.
Scarpa says he was speaking about the victim's history, not her status as a transgender person. "He himself was guilty of attempted murder," he told us, referring to Gonzalez-Andujar's HIV-positive status as a prostitute, and detailing her history of drug use. "I thought it was loathsome for the judge to say this was a good person."
- The twitter mandela hall of shame.
- Clearly, this is just a states' rights issue. That's all it has ever been about. States' rights.
- Same-sex weddings are starting in Canberra, but they may not last long.
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -- Gay and lesbian couples from around Australia joined in fragile marriages in Canberra on Saturday under the nation's beleaguered same-sex union laws that face a challenge in the courts within a week.
The hastily-arranged ceremonies held under blue summer skies were bitter-sweet occasions for some couples who realize the High Court could annul their unions on Thursday.
- Ted Cruz is a full-blown member of the anti-17th Amendment crew:
Although he didn't comment specifically on the ALEC proposal, Cruz had unkind words for the 17th Amendment in his speech on Thursday.Let's just prevent people from voting on anything and create a landed aristocracy instead. Why not go all the way?
"Prior to the 17th Amendment, the state legislatures' ability and authority to select senators was a powerful check on the federal government coming and intruding on the prerogatives of the state," he said. "Because if you have the ability to hire and fire me, I'm a lot less likely to break into your house and steal your television. So there's no doubt that was a major step toward the explosion of federal power and the undermining of the authority of the states at the local level."
- An entire apartment building in Shanghai just tipped over. Thankfully, it wasn't finished and thus unoccupied. But taking a look at the photos...where the heck is the building's foundation? Seriously.
I ran out of thread caption jokes. Or is my saying that a thread caption joke in and of itself?
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Eyesbright, Ohkwai, Jim R, gchaucer2, Gemina13, Larsstephens, paradise50, ratcityreprobate, a2nite, remembrance
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Dante Atkins
- California’s the center of the new energy revolution—if there was ever any doubt about that, Elon Musk’s announcement of his new home battery from Tesla’s design studio in Hawthorne settled ...13 comments 66 Recs
- Cross-posted at ACA Signups Y'know, there's all sorts of ways to spin formal press releases. For instance: Moments ago, the HHS Dept. of the United States sent out this press release, touting the ...33 comments 150 Recs
- I just got this note from Jack Thompson, Cedwyn's father. "Cedwyn passed away tonight, quietly, gracefully and at peace." He continued "Please pass our appreciation and gratitude to all of the ...267 comments 718 Recs
- For those who haven't heard, MsSpent Youth got word this morning that Cedwyn 's gone downhill overnight. We haven't had any word since then (that I am aware of) and I think everyone's decided to ...226 comments 624 Recs
- The final tally for Climate Hawks Vote in 2014: we endorsed in 17 elections, including 3 primaries and 14 general election races; we won 11 and lost 6. No matter what, I'm proud of all of our ...15 comments 35 Recs
- By @BginKC Wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. That really happened. It was Saturday, and I'm still struggling to process it, but that changes nothing. It happened. By now you have all seen the ...128 comments 182 Recs
- To my friends in the Kos community: I know you care about electing progressives, and I care about electing progressives, so that's why I am ringing this alarm bell . No one is fired up to vote on ...58 comments 226 Recs
- then have I got a no-brainer for you. Imagine a Democratic office holder with a long track record of being a progressive on issue after issue. Now imagine someone who just because s/heia entitled ...48 comments 155 Recs
- ALEC & Grover will be on NPR's Diane Rehm radio show tomorrow. I'm asked to help get the word out about this to encourage people to call in How fun would interrogating Grover on national radio be?15 comments 31 Recs
- Daily Kos was built on the notion that regular people were just as important in our political discourse as the so-called experts, that pundits didn't have a monopoly on wisdom, that power could be ...242 comments 500 Recs
Dante Atkins's Tags
- No current results.