- President Obama said Congress should act to extend emergency unemployment insurance for more than one million Americans who have lost this vital economic lifeline while looking for a job. Letting emergency unemployment insurance expire not only harms American families, but it is also a drag on the overall economy. The President urges both parties to pass the bipartisan three-month extension under consideration in the Senate so that we can once again focus on expanding opportunities for the middle class and creating jobs for all hardworking Americans.
- Was Conservative pundit David Brooks High on marijuana for this one?
While David Brooks meanders in platitudes, those supporting legalization of marijuana now, and hopefully other drugs later, live in today’s reality. If your drug use does not have a physical or financial impact on someone else, you should have the freedom to do it. I thought that was a Conservative mantra as well.
- The quote below found in this New York Times article should make every American scream. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? One could postulate that the bad personal decisions many make are not a personal failure in some vacuum but personal failures that result from a failed economic system that implicitly hurts the social fabric.
“The nation should face up to two facts: poverty rates are too high, especially among children, and spending money on government means-tested programs is at best a partial solution,” Ron Haskins of the Brookings Institution wrote in an assessment of the shortfalls on the war on poverty. Washington already spends enough on antipoverty programs to lift all Americans out of poverty, he said. “To mount an effective war against poverty,” he added, “we need changes in the personal decisions of more young Americans.”
- Nerds, Internet junkies, as well as bloggers should love this.
Cloud computing has crossed the threshold from a technology issue to a matter of political and cultural debate. It is at the center of the controversy over the National Security Agency’s collection of data in the name of counterterrorism. It has also launched conversations about the future of the workplace in the age of telecommuting. But while the cloud has permeated our lives, myths swirl around the concept.
- Oh yes. Conservative David Frum excoriates that crazy Fox News pundit who advocates the assassination of President Obama.
Michael Scheuer’s meltdown: It’s been a long way down for the former CIA hand and over-the-top Iraq War critic—right down to endorsing the assassinations of Barack Obama and David Cameron.
Anybody who thinks the Obama years have been uniquely dominated by Teh Crazy should give a few minutes attention to the career of Michael Scheuer, once one of the most prominent critics of the Bush administration’s war on terror.
- The company store is back in a new predatory form. Check out this AlterNet article. It puts economist Richard D. Wolff’s “Capitalism Hits the Fan” into perspective.
If you can lure people into borrowing then you own them, sometimes literally—it’s a game as old as money itself.
Regular people don’t know much about money, loan terms or the trap of debt-slavery. This enables predators to dangle loans in front of desperate people and entrap them into various forms of financial and even actual servitude.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Angie in WA State, Brecht, peacestpete, Sixty Something, wintergreen8694, ratcityreprobate, Free Jazz at High Noon, eyo, jbsoul
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Egberto Willies
- Today, Battleground Texas' Legal Director Mimi Marziani sent a letter formally notifying Texas Secretary of State Carlos H. Cascos that Battleground Texas is prepared to file a lawsuit if the ...37 comments 175 Recs
- The Texas Progressive Alliance wishes everyone a Happy Star Wars Day as it brings you this week's roundup. Off the Kuff rounded up coverage of the voter ID appellate hearing at the Fifth circuit ...1 comments 6 Recs
- 366 comments 400 Recs
- Cartoon decrying the Hamburg massacre of July 1876 As people raise a hue and cry, for a media minute, about yet another police murder of an unarmed black man—this time Walter Scott ...298 comments 240 Recs
- For most of his life, Jimmy Carter has been an advocate for human rights. In 1982, one year after leaving the Oval Office, the former US President and his wife Rosalynn Carter, founded ...603 comments 784 Recs
- The Texas Progressive Alliance hopes that our state can learn the lesson of the Indiana debacle as it brings you this week's roundup. Off the Kuff compared Greg Abbott's performance in heavily ...2 comments 7 Recs
- Before we go any further, I feel a confession is in order: my name is ...152 comments 122 Recs
- "You saw those cars coming, and you knew who those men were. They wanted you to see them. They wanted you to be afraid of them." - Lillie McKoy, former mayor of Maxton talking about the ...501 comments 1194 Recs
- Before I begin, I just want to point you to *Egberto Willies*' diary on the Texas Kos meet-up held in Austin on Saturday, ...43 comments 126 Recs
- http://www.dailykos.com/blog/San%20Antonio%20Kos If you are in San Antonio and want to join a our group please do. I am going to need alot of help as I am mad busy with the grand daughter. But blue ...25 comments 47 Recs