You can click here to add your name:Dear MoveOn member,
I'm U.S. Senator Al Franken, and I started a petition to the United States Congress and President Barack Obama, which says:
We, the undersigned, have had it. Corporations are not people. Elections should not be auctions. And we refuse to let our democracy be put up for sale.
We are standing together to call for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United.
Citizens United was a disaster. It opened the floodgates for corporations to write big checks to fund right-wing special-interest attacks, helping them pour $719 million into the 2012 elections.
The question is, what are we going to do about it? How are we going to stuff this "corporations are people, elections are auctions, democracy is for sale" mess into the Dumpster of Bad Ideas?
Here's how: A constitutional amendment that puts power back in the hands of the people. The actual, human people.
Click here to sign my petition and join me in calling for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United, and then pass it along to your friends.
–Senator Al Franken
This petition was started by Senator Al Franken on MoveOn Petitions Political Action Edition, which is licensed to and paid for by MoveOn.org Political Action. Senator Al Franken didn't pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Al Franken (D. MN) and MoveOn.org regarding the Supreme Court's ruling on Citizens United:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Radiowalla, Wee Mama, oceanview, lcrp, Curt Matlock, kaliope, xanthippe2, Kingsmeg, hobie1616, CenPhx, Jorge Harris
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski lost her 2010 primary, and she may be a conservative target again Last week, Roll Call reported that state Sen. Mike ...2 comments 6 Recs
- The Senate voted 62-38 Thursday morning to advance the ...99 comments 34 Recs
- This is worth the 155 seconds it takes to watch, if for no other reason than it will bring a smile to your face. A friend once told me that the secret of Monty Python's success was that the ...137 comments 222 Recs
- Elizabeth Warren wants Hillary Clinton to say "no" to Fast ...7 comments 19 Recs
- In the wake of Jeb Bush's whiplash-producing reversal last week, the U.S. media is engaged in a feeding frenzy over who would have supported the Iraq war " knowing what we know now ." ...57 comments 75 Recs
- I don't know how these people remember to keep breathing . Sen. ...62 comments 53 Recs
- (photo credit: G. Pisano) On Hardball tonight, Chris Matthews interviewed ex-CIA Deputy Director (and Acting Director) under George W. Bush, Michael Morrell. Here is a ...284 comments 442 Recs
- (image courtesy of SwitchYourBank.org) Late-night breaking from Bloomberg : UBS Group AG said its main unit will plead guilty to fraud in the U.S. for manipulating benchmark interest rates ...172 comments 299 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi could be key in the fight over fast-track trade legislation. Senate Majority Leader Mitch ...46 comments 59 Recs
- Matt Bevin has apparently won the Kentucky GOP nod for governor by 83 votes. We were expecting a tight GOP gubernatorial primary in Kentucky, but not this tight! With all precincts reporting, tea ...17 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.