- Today's comic by Matt Bors is Cartoon: Melissa Harris-Perry-Gate:
- ADP says 238,000 new jobs were created by the private sector in December:
"The U.S. private sector added 238,000 jobs in December, surpassing November as the strongest month for job growth in 2013,” said Carlos Rodriguez, president and chief executive officer of ADP. “It’s encouraging news that hopefully bodes well for 2014."ADP does not include public sector jobs in its monthly survey, and its numbers often contrast with the government's statistics as published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. For instance, the BLS reported that, so far, February was the best month for job growth in 2013. The latest BLS report comes out Friday. The consensus of economists and other experts surveyed by Bloomberg News and The Wall Street Journal, which has rarely hit the mark, says 195,000 new jobs—private and public were created last month.
Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody’s Analytics, said, "The job market ended 2013 on a high note. Job growth meaningfully accelerated and is now over 200,000 per month. Job gains are broad-based across industries, most notably in construction and manufacturing. It appears that businesses are growing more confident and increasing their hiring.”
- Giffords is sky-diving on the third anniversary of Tucson shooting: Along with 19 others, six of whom were killed, former Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona was shot three years ago today by a mentally deranged person. Though her right arm and leg are paralyzed and her eyesight poor, Giffords has made a remarkable recovery and established, with her husband, an advocacy group, Americans for Responsible Solutions, that seeks moderate new laws restricting gun ownership. Her Op-Ed for The New York Times, The Lessons of Physical Therapy, appeared today. Giffords took her first parachute jump four years ago in tandem with a Navy Seal who was later gravely wounded in Afghanistan.
- Cops find 48 small bombs, four guns and blueprints of possible target in speeder's car:
An Indiana National Guardsman was arrested outside Columbus on New Year’s Day after a state trooper found nearly 50 bombs and the blueprints for a Navy SEAL training facility inside his car, the Madison County prosecutor said yesterday.
- Careercast says newspaper reporters have 8th most stressful job. Enlistees in the military rank #1, cops #9. Coal miners, ambulance drivers, surgeons and day-care workers aren't on the Top Ten list at all.
- Pro-Hillary Clinton group raised $4 million:
Ready for Hillary, a super-political action committee dedicated to electing Democrat Hillary Clinton president in 2016 — should she choose to run — raised $4 million last year.
The group amassed a “grassroots army” of 33,361 donors in its first year of existence, super-PAC officials said in a news release. Super-PACs can accept unlimited amounts of money from donors, but Ready for Hillary has a self-imposed cap of $25,000 per person.
- On today's #TWiBRadio: San Jose State students handles hate-crime poorly, don't buy this scented candle for your black friends, and even after watching 12 Years a Slave, Kanye West still has only an abstract of idea of slavery.
- Family of U.S. prisoner in North Korea furious at Dennis Rodman:
The family of Kenneth Bae, the American who has been imprisoned in North Korea for over a year, is “outraged” by former NBA player Dennis Rodman’s comments on CNN implying that Bae deserved his sentence in a North Korean labor camp.Rodman is one of several former NBA basketball players visiting North Korea for an exhibition game against North Korea players. He has developed a connection with Kim Jong-Un, the nation's leader, whom he has called a "friend."
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, a big New Year's Eve #GunFAIL roundup today. Joan McCarter's weekly round-up. UI extension inches forward. Post-nuclear Senate fallout. Joan walks us through the gigantic WaPo report on the vast web of Koch brothers money. Politico's report on "internet sensation" Mark "Coonrippy" Brown that, well... you've just to to listen. Chris Christie's bridge-gate blew up again. Paul Waldman's "The Circle of Scam." And finally, the NYT's coverage of the (successful) Duck Dynasty-ing of a Guns & Ammo writer, just days before deciding that's un-American if anyone else does it.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Powered Grace, eeff, navajo, Eyesbright, blueyedace2, LinSea, rb137, renzo capetti, ericlewis0, PorridgeGun, wintergreen8694, ratcityreprobate, aresea
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- 3 comments 6 Recs
- Protests against Shell's plan for Arctic drilling have received global attention. From the actions of kayaktivists around Seattle to Shell's annual stockholder meeting, Shell has been receiving a ...21 comments 49 Recs
- The same region devastated by the Santa Barbara Oil Spill of 1969 is now the scene of a massive clean up of crude oil by the state and federal governments and volunteers. The international and ...9 comments 23 Recs
- Welcome to the 2015 Daily Kos Backyard Science Yardbird Race! This is the fifth tally for 2015, and is the official place to post your sightings, ask for help, and brag some if you wish. Here's ...86 comments 22 Recs
- Pardon me while I take one minute from what I'm doing to stop and ask the same question I've asked ever since I returned from Viet Nam. ...16 comments 32 Recs
- Dear Little Brother If you'd lived through Viet Nam, who would you be now? For one thing, you'd 69 years old, still six years younger than me. I still giggle when I remember how , as a child, you ...15 comments 87 Recs
- “America’s the richest country on Earth because we’ve been able to put capital together and we’ve been able to make our poor somewhat the envy of the world....If you go to India or you go ...6 comments 9 Recs
- "Where are we headed?" she said. "To a bar" I said. "a land without feelings or genuine interest In order To reduce the awareness of Our mortality thru sin, vice, and false language in a failed ...15 comments 16 Recs
- It's that time again..... my sixth annual meet-up by the lake ;-)4 comments 11 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12392)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25053)
- Community (91294)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56250)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46258)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15089)
- Jobs (12477)
- Labor (28684)
- Libya (4270)