Skip to main content

This is a story of my trip to the ER to get my appendix removed. It's sorta funny, painful & it's over with good results.

 So I work for a nascar driver, David Ragan, He has his own shop in Concord & has a late model he runs 3 to 4 times a year. One of those races is called Winterfest, the last 2 years it's been run in Cordele, Ga. His Uncle is part owner in the track. So Wednesday the truck driver his buddy & I loaded the big rig. we finished up around 3:00pm. Left the car inside the shop because it was going to be in the Teens & we didn't want an engine problem.
 Thursday morning we loaded the car & the big rig was on the road at 8:30. I then went & put fuel in a jeep that had to be taken to the dealership in Perry, Ga. A team member was driving it down, He was on the road @ 9:00 am.
I then spent the day trying to finish up loose ends, I needed to be ready to make the trip down in the F-350 with 2 other guys that help us who had to work till 5:00 pm.
 They got here around 6:15 PM. We were on the road by 6:30pm. Evan drove the first leg. We ate at Windy's & I drove the rest of the way. Got in bed around 1:00am.

I don't know what time I woke up, so let's call it 3:00 am. I had a pain in my lower abdomen. When ever I get those pains I wonder if I'm going to join my older & younger brother with appendicitis. David text me around 6:30 am. he wanted a bed that was in the back of the dually taken to his parents house. I told him I wasn't feeling to good, and that I was worried about appendix. BUT I didn't believe it.
 I then sent a text to brother Bob asking what his experience was like. He said he doesn't remember the details, but it will get to a point you can't take it any more.
so in my mind I said I'll see how it goes till 3:00.
 Around lunch time I decided I would try drinking some prune juice. I called Jacquelyn, David's wife, Her & Bev David's mom showed up with a big jar of it. I drank 3 cups of it.
Nothing seamed to be happening. Then Jacquelyn said she bring me a laxative. I took that around 2:30 pm. Jac said it takes 15 minutes for that stuff to work.
 So it's 3:00pm & I throw the towel in. Jac & Bev came & picked me up. I packed up my back pack & got in the car. We went to urgent care, I told them my story. The nice lady told me I should go to Perry Hospital where they have a CT Scan.
 Off to Perry I go. So I stand at their window for 10 minutes getting signed in. Jac & Bev come over & said they were a phone call away, the hospital is 3 blocks from the Ragan house in Perry.
 I get wheeled into a room with 3 stalls ! they start taking my pressures Temp & blood.
wasn't long & they hauled me to the CT scan room. So I guess it's 5:00 pm by now. I'm having fun on the phone texting friends that I had asked questions of during the day. Doctor Whon had visited with me a couple times during all this. She was back again around 6:00pm. She tells me good diagnosis ! You have appendicitis ! a Nurse will be right over with some morphine ! Then I'm texting everyone I just got shot up with morphine ! It's 7:56 pm I'm on the trip to a bigger hospital in Warner Robins 15 miles north. I looked at comments on dailykos (dk) to see when I posted on Cheers & Jeers. In Perry I didn't try using wifi. It was the first thing I did when I got to WRH.
 I get there & a team of nurses are waiting for me. They had to get info. The Doctor stopped in & said their was someone ahead of me but it wouldn't be long.
 Then put you to sleep doctor stops in to ask questions.
 These people are all super nice. I wanted my glasses & phone for as long as was possible. the time came around 8:39 pm,(according to dk) I got wheeled info the COLD OR ! they put a blanket on me out of an oven. Then they moved me onto the table & started hooking me up. wasn't long & I was out !

 I wake up in the recovery room with a lady watching me. how long it takes to figure out what is going on is how long you stay there I guess. It was 11:15pm. of coarse I want my glasses & phone is the first thing out of me. I did get the glasses. it wasn't till I got in the hospital room around midnight before I got the phone.
 It's 1:15am when I made my first attempt to post I was out of recovery on dailykos.
 I waited till 6:30 am to text David & Jacquelyn. Then I texted Brother Bob.
 Doctor showed up at 7:00 am. Told me 3 days in there. Told me I could shower & to get up & walk around. I had made the trip to the toilet a few times already, Man it hurt to pee. I messed around texting & reading. Then sleeping. Texting reading peeing sleeping. It was 3:00pm when I made my first lap around the 5th floor. I was tired & went to sleep. woke up at 6:00pm peed & went for a walk again. when I got back dinner was there. I went back to sleep. I walked again at 9:00pm. that was much better & easier too. I was able to stay awake & read this time.
 After the shift change & temp & pressure check I went for a walk ! I found a candy machine ! I went back to the room & got money. I bought some peanuts ! :)
 The nurse came in & said she had to change my sheets before she left in the AM. I told her I'd go for a walk when she was ready. about 5:00pm Sunday morning she woke me up. I went for a long walk again. Came back & looked at dk & went back to sleep.
 The doctor woke me up at 7:00 am. started talking & I was coherent yet. I was getting out as soon as the drain was taken out is what he basically said.
 No restrictions, I could eat what I want, do what ever. I should not do anything lifting or moving that is harder or heavier than a gallon of milk.
 I start texting the news. Brother Bob has already said he would fly down & get me. I wasn't going that route. I wanted the back seat of the F-350.
 So I started getting ready to get out of the hospital.
 Nurse told me not to let the water hit me in the stomach for a few days. I just rinsed myself off & got dressed. Bev picked me up @ 10:30 AM. We stopped & got meds 77 bucks for 7 pills and went to the Ragan home. I turned on the 24 hour race from Daytona. Bev went to Zaxby's to pick up lunch.
 About 2:00 pm Joyce showed up, the 3 of us went to Cordele to watch the late model run. I sat in a chair must of the time. when the sun started setting it started getting cold. We were happy when that race was over ! David finished 4th. We got back to the car at 7:20 pm.
 We got to Perry first, Jac was coming to the Ragan house to get Olie, her beagle & me.
 We drove to the dealership to get a little 50 cc motorcycle going to Concord in the back of the f-350. It was 8:00 PM when we started rolling north. David said I've got my fusbuster & I'm going to run pretty hard on the way back, follow me. The first guy driving the F-350 was Wayno the engine guy. He was laughing but staying he can't believe he's running 90mph down the highway !
 Was somewhere south of Atlanta we passed a cop car sitting in the median running 90mph, nothing happened. didn't even feel like they slowed down. they just were laughing about it & texting between the to vehicles.
 Stopped in South Carolina for fuel at 11:30.
 Got to Concord,NC at 1:30 AM.

 Now what the hell am I going to do for the next week?

 I'm a lucky guy, I had wonderful care from a big group of very nice dedicated people in Ga.
 I wanted to write my story & post it fast because if I didn't I wouldn't do it at all.

 as far as ACA goes, I didn't complete the enrollment, I had gotten to where I could look at plans & knew how much my subsidy was. I had questions I needed to find answers on. I also had work to do. So I told myself I would decide this week what I was going to do.

 oh well that's how life goes sometimes !

 Thanks for all the get wells posted over the last few days.

 I will watch what I do for a week or so & get back to living life.

Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags


More Tagging tips:

A tag is a way to search for this diary. If someone is searching for "Barack Obama," is this a diary they'd be trying to find?

Use a person's full name, without any title. Senator Obama may become President Obama, and Michelle Obama might run for office.

If your diary covers an election or elected official, use election tags, which are generally the state abbreviation followed by the office. CA-01 is the first district House seat. CA-Sen covers both senate races. NY-GOV covers the New York governor's race.

Tags do not compound: that is, "education reform" is a completely different tag from "education". A tag like "reform" alone is probably not meaningful.

Consider if one or more of these tags fits your diary: Civil Rights, Community, Congress, Culture, Economy, Education, Elections, Energy, Environment, Health Care, International, Labor, Law, Media, Meta, National Security, Science, Transportation, or White House. If your diary is specific to a state, consider adding the state (California, Texas, etc). Keep in mind, though, that there are many wonderful and important diaries that don't fit in any of these tags. Don't worry if yours doesn't.

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed from the site and returned to your drafts for further editing.)
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site