"Obviously, this is a great night for our campaign, and we're extremely excited to have the second sentence taken out," said Megan Robertson, campaign director for Freedom Indiana, a coalition working against the amendment.The tide on this issue is turning, even among Republicans. But that is just going to make the bigots, like Bosma, more committed to using every means possible to fight it. That means our allies, like Freedom Indiana, will need all the help they can get to keep pushing back.
But, she added: "Getting rid of one bad sentence doesn't fix the whole bill."
Opponents of the measure acknowledge they still have a fierce uphill battle ahead of them. The odds of defeating what's left of the amendment remain long, and they still face the prospect of the Senate reinstating the ban on civil unions in a renewed effort to send the issue to voters in November.
Things are falling apart for Indiana's chief bigot, state House Speaker Brian Bosma. He's the guy who's trying to ram an extreme anti-marriage equality constitutional amendment through the state legislature. When his fellow Republicans in the judiciary committee rebelled against the amendment, Bosma yanked it from that committee and put it in a friendlier one. He figured it would sail through there, and it pretty much did. But then he hit the wall of opposition from fellow Republicans in the full House. With a 52-43 vote, the House removed the worst part of the amendment, a provision that would have banned civil unions and could have ended protections for straight, unmarried couples in civil unions. That's triggering a delay, meaning that even if both chambers of the General Assembly pass the revised amendment, it likely won't go before voters until 2016.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
TXdem, Odysseus, Jay C, eeff, dpeifer1949, SocioSam, Cronesense, sfbob, jayden, gizmo59, bythesea, shopkeeper, politicalceci, Mokurai, ericlewis0, annieli, ratcityreprobate, JGibson, This old man, poopdogcomedy
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- DKos Radio's KITM podcast (AUDIO): Greg & Joan blast 'bad intel' BS; TPP shell game targets MedicareWe kicked off with a recap of the ...1 comments 4 Recs
- Why even bother? Well, you guys went ahead and did a press avail, and ...266 comments 287 Recs
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...82 comments 253 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie takes on civil liberties, domestic espionage, and ...106 comments 46 Recs
- (Click to enlarge) Follow Jen on Twitter at @...81 comments 95 Recs
- Seeking to avoid the multi-day saga that Jeb Bush endured ...145 comments 154 Recs
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island gave his 20-minute pilot floor speech on climate change in October 2011. But he began his weekly series with a climate change speech in April 2012. Since ...30 comments 80 Recs
- Presidential contender Marco Rubio is trying his level best to bring back the glory days of the Project for the New American Century, aka The People Who Brought You The Iraq War. Are you the sort ...75 comments 83 Recs
- Good day and welcome to DKos Asheville . This is the weekly DKos Asheville open thread for Saturday, May 15th. We try to get together every weekend to share with everyone what we're all up to in ...13 comments 21 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.