The Center for Worker Freedom, which is linked to anti-tax advocate Grover Norquist, plans to renew its battle against the UAW at plants in Alabama and Mississippi where the union wants to organize.It's questionable whether the group's efforts in Chattanooga made the difference; threats to jobs from area politicians seem likely to have played a bigger role. But it's not really about any one organizing drive for these people. It's about spreading anti-union messaging everywhere, so that when an actual union campaign does come up, the Right's message is already embedded in people's brains. And when you have Norquist's endless money, why not just put up billboards everywhere there's an auto plant?
“Those are likely the next big ones for the UAW,” said Matt Patterson, executive director of the center. “We'll be there.” [...]
The center, created under the umbrella of Norquist's anti-tax group Americans for Tax Reform, used billboards and 30-second radio spots across the region to criticize the UAW effort and blame the union for the fiscal woes in Detroit, the struggling hub of the U.S. auto industry.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Creosote, fumie, Eyesbright, JDPITALIA, mungley, historys mysteries, JVolvo, fabucat, certainot, Uncle Moji, Tonga 23, Dirtandiron, Larsstephens, commonmass, slice, Onomastic, annieli, enhydra lutris, bluezen, a2nite, JGibson, bob152, Street Heat, Dodgerdog1, jbsoul
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Laura Clawson
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...115 comments 273 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...130 comments 134 Recs
- To give voice to 35 workers killed on the job over the past 35 years at a massive refinery in Texas City, hundreds of surviving family members, co-workers and friends gathered there last month to ...4 comments 17 Recs
- Like many, I am watching the terrible events in Baltimore play out, and am also following the very disturbing details of Freddie Gray's death as they are revealed. I'm writing tonight because the ...114 comments 162 Recs
- Watching the discussion around the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) gives me a nasty sense of déjà vu. Long before joining AFGE, I worked as a food service worker, licensed practical nurse, and ...178 comments 206 Recs
- Americans across the political spectrum need to rise up and stop Fast Track now! The good news is that overwhelmingly House Democrats will vote No! The bad news is that lined up against them, and ...4 comments 13 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...59 comments 219 Recs
- This is no plea for pity for corporate kingpins like Walmart and McDonald’s inundated by workers’ demands for living wages. Raises would, of course, cost these billion-dollar corporations ...7 comments 19 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 178 Recs
- I’m going to write about community tonight, since it was my home when I first came to Daily Kos, and it’s my home now. Carnacki began Top Comments on June 14, 2006. He asked for diarists, I ...86 comments 52 Recs