- Today's comic by Ruben Bolling is Billy the Kitty goes to the click farm for Facebook likes:
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook Feb. 26:
- Applications for unemployment compensation rise: For the week ending Feb. 22, according to the Department of Labor, seasonally adjusted initial claims for unemployment compensation rose 14,000 from the previous week to 348,000. That is the same number of applications as for the comparable week of 2013. The four-week running average was 338,250, unchanged from the previous week's revised average. The total number of people making claims for the week ending Feb. 8 was 3,486,060, down 26,388 from the previous week. For the comparable week of 2013, there were 5,764,168 persons making claims. The bulk of that huge drop can be attributed to the fact that some two million Americans who would be receiving federal compensation for having been unemployed for more than 27 weeks are now getting bupkis because Republicans blocked renewal of the program, which expired Dec. 28.
- How Democratic is your name?
- Legalizing marijuana makes it to the Alaska ballot: And there are likely to be more such efforts soon.
A little over a year after Colorado and Washington legalized marijuana, more than half the states, including some in the conservative South, are considering decriminalizing the drug or legalizing it for medical or recreational use. That has set up a watershed year in the battle over whether marijuana should be as acceptable as alcohol.
Demonstrating how marijuana is no longer a strictly partisan issue, the two states considered likeliest this year to follow Colorado and Washington in outright legalization of the drug are Oregon, dominated by liberal Democrats, and Alaska, where libertarian Republicans hold sway.
- Texas GOP lieutenant governor gaffe-tweets on marriage equality: Dan Patrick tweeted “MARRIAGE = ONE MAN & ONE MAN. Enough of these activist judges. … I know the silent majority out there is with us!” The caps lock portion was quickly changed to MARRIAGE = ONE MAN & ONE WOMAN" and the original deleted. Soon, another tweet appeared:
- Paula Deen should only open her mouth to put food in it. Here she is in an interview with People:
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out. He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player. I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying. I'm fighting to get my name back."
- When they start talking about "bringing back" velociraptors, will we get to vote on it? "De-extinction" is cool for Stewart Brand and others eager create a reasonable facsimile of a passenger pigeon or 100,000 woolly mammoths to turn lose in the Arctic tundra. But what about other species?
[Beth] Shapiro is no more sanguine about the woolly-mammoth project. “You’re never going to get a genetic clone of a mammoth,” she said. “What’s going to happen, I imagine, is that someone, maybe George Church, is going to insert some genes into the Asian-elephant genome that make it slightly hairier. That would be just a tiny portion of the genome manipulated, but a few years later, you have a thing born that is an elephant, only hairier, and the press will write, ‘George Church has cloned a mammoth!’ ” Church, though he plans to do more than just alter the gene for hairiness, concedes the point. “I would like to have an elephant that likes the cold weather,” he told me. “Whether you call it a ‘mammoth’ or not, I don’t care.”
- Watch six GOP Senate candidates in Colorado deny climate change.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, both sides-ism strikes again. So does "fact checking," says Greg Dworkin. Rationalizing Arizona: conscience should be consequence free! NRA, ALEC lawlessness: shutting down RI's NRA; judge takes bribes to send kids to pvt prison.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Gooserock, CoolOnion, navajo, Eyesbright, HeyMikey, Inland, peacestpete, Lefty Coaster, Mr MadAsHell, mikejay611, ratcityreprobate, DRo, Eric Nelson, aresea, howabout, Kombema
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- I Got The News Today (IGTNT) is one of the oldest continuous series on Daily Kos. It is a way for our community to pay respect to those who have died as a result of war. The beautiful logo was ...29 comments 35 Recs
- All People ...6 comments 10 Recs
- You know, you'd think that since I'm now only writing for Top Comments every other week, I'd actually be able to write diaries . I had just the topic in mind for tonight, but it was apparently ...52 comments 52 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...54 comments 26 Recs
- Denny Hastert A new report ...239 comments 51 Recs
- What could go wrong? Climate Talks In Copenhagen Dominated By Climate Destroying Corps This is about the United Nations climate talks, as they are being sponsored by fossil fuel interests. I ...7 comments 14 Recs
- Chris Mooney at the Washington Post has a wonderful piece debunking a recent Forbes post by Heartland's increasingly irrelevant James Taylor. Unsurprisingly, Taylor tries to mislead readers by ...5 comments 15 Recs
- [http://www.wlky.com/politics/cuba-taken-off-terrorist-list/33285658 WLKY:] The U.S. State Department says Cuba has been taken off a list of state sponsors of terrorism. Secretary of State John ...39 comments 67 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12441)
- Afghanistan (11513)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25130)
- Community (91464)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56299)
- eKos (12468)
- Environment (46358)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15163)
- Jobs (12495)
- Labor (28744)
- Libya (4270)