- Today's comic by Tom Tomorrow is A job for IHOTFM-Man!
- Here is what you missed on Sunday:
- Sociopathic stance on Obamacare would be fatal to GOP if successful, by Egberto Willies
- The Oscars 2014, by Dr. RJ
- Steampunk Planet, by DarkSyde
- Books: McKibben's 'Oil and Honey' and Benfield's 'People Habitat', by Susan Gardner
- Egads, it sure is terrible when SOMEONE ELSE starts wars with trumped-up excuses, by Kos
- How Republicans will try to block new tests for fetal disorders, by Jon Perr
- The Republican Party's transparent agenda of class warfare, by Laurence Lewis
- Economic conservatives take religious conservatives for suckers, by Ian Reifowitz
- The surrender of the left? Activism and electoral politics, by Armando
- Women's History: Native Americans, by Denise Oliver Velez
- Sulfur reduction in gasoline another EPA rule for right-wingers to bellyache about:
The Environmental Protection Agency on Monday released a rulemaking to lower the amount of sulfur in gasoline and significantly reduce air pollution from automobile emissions.
According to EPA, the rule will slash atmospheric concentrations of smog and soot by requiring refiners to cut back on sulfur concentrations by more than 60 percent in gasoline blends. The standards also set limits on tailpipe emissions from automobiles.
"These standards are a win for public health, a win for our environment, and a win for our pocketbooks," EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy said in a statement. "We're continuing to build on the Obama Administration's broader clean fuels and vehicles efforts that cut carbon pollution, clean the air we breathe, and save families money at the pump."
- 12 Years a Slave, the rest of the Oscars:
“I’d like to thank this amazing story,” said Steve McQueen, the British-born filmmaker who grasped a prize that has eluded African-American directors and their movies since the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences gave its first Oscars in 1929.
“Everyone deserves not just to survive, but to live,” said Mr. McQueen, who dedicated the film to those who had endured slavery, both in the past and in the present.
- A corrected tweet and the tweet seen 'round the world breaks Obama's record.
- How low can you go? Two arrested for armed robbery of woman in labor.
- Indiana poised to allow guns in school parking lots:
Supporters of the measure say it would protect parents who inadvertently commit a felony by bringing their guns while picking up their children. Opponents worry easier access to guns could promote school shootings.
- Europe's floods could quadruple by 2050:
The UK has been hit hard by major flooding over the last few months, weather one Met Office scientist called the “most exceptional period of rainfall in 248 years.” Now, new research says extreme floods could become more common in Europe by 2050, causing the financial losses from these weather events to quadruple.
The study, published Sunday in Nature Climate Change, found that instances of very extreme floods now occur around once every 50 years in Europe but could shorten to every 30 years by 2050, and that instances of extreme weather-related damage that now occur every 16 years could occur every 10. That means that Europe’s financial losses related to flooding, which now total about 4.9 billion euros a year, could increase almost 380 percent to 23.5 billion euros by 2050.
- Green Trans-Pacific Partnership? Hahahahahahaha:
So in a hearing on Jan 28, Rep Mark Pocan (D-WI) asked Michael Froman—the US Trade Rep running the TPP show—about the environmental standards in TPP. Froman listed four areas in TPP that were "absolutely non-negotiable from a US standpoint," including "tough new environmental standards."
When the meeting ended, Pocan asked "So does that mean that if we give you fast track, you won't send us a deal that doesn't have that stuff in it?' At which point, we learned that the US Trade Rep uses a highly specialized meaning for the phrase "absolutely non-negotiable," meaning "totally up for grabs," because he immediately said, "I didn't say that."
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin rounds up Ukraine stories, Forbes discovers corporate citizenship. "When May I Shoot a Student?" Douthat's "surrender." Was Christie supposed to "save" Ft. Lee? Bunnygirl60's Obamacare small biz goldmine.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
mimi, OLinda, eeff, navajo, Steven D, LakeSuperior, JVolvo, JeffW, FarWestGirl, wintergreen8694, ratcityreprobate, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, aresea, ProgressiveBubba, Kombema, snoqualmie
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- I often struggle to write about Memorial Day. It is about more ...55 comments 50 Recs
- On Thursday, May 21st, 2015, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, in response to window breaking during ...21 comments 39 Recs
- I am going to give in to Denise Oliver Velez's request to turn a comment into a diary. The aversion to length (TL;DR) is a peculiar modern affliction, but I will make it easier for people who ...12 comments 38 Recs
- 4 comments 9 Recs
- 6 comments 12 Recs
- Note that the video above was shot on May 8, 2015, set to Debussy's Clair de Lune, by the YouTube user NorthOlbo who makes wonderful pieces about the British Columbian coast. Check him out. The ...5 comments 16 Recs
- You ought to be out raising hell. This is the fighting age. Put on your fighting clothes. -Mother Jones ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` Wednesday ...8 comments 16 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12390)
- Afghanistan (11508)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25036)
- Community (91238)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56235)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46219)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15075)
- Jobs (12469)
- Labor (28655)
- Libya (4270)