- Today's comic by Jen Sorensen is Spectacle Semiotics:
- The long-awaited special election in Florida's swingy 13th Congressional District is tonight! Democrats are hoping to pick up the seat long held by the late GOP Rep. Bill Young, and after an intense campaign, the race between Democrat Alex Sink and Republican David Jolly is a pure tossup that truly could go either way. Join us for our liveblog at Daily Kos Elections when polls close at 7 PM ET.
- Joe McGinnis, author of The Selling of the President and Fatal Vision, among other influential books, has died. Condolences to his family and friends.
A Caddo Parish [Louisiana] man who’s been sitting on death row for almost 30 years soon will be a free man.
Caddo Parish prosecutors on Thursday filed a motion to vacate the first-degree murder conviction and death sentence of Glenn Ford because of undisclosed evidence indicating he was neither present nor a participant of the robbery and murder of 56-year-old jeweler and watchmaker Isadore Rozeman on Nov. 5, 1983.
- Here's another oops, courtesy of the ever-excellent Fox News chyron team. This oops is more with the humor and less with the 30 years of a man's life stolen.
- The Twitter Fiction Festival is about to start:
The festival invited 27 authors, including comedian Jim Gaffigan and novelist Alexander McCall Smith, to share stories online. Stine and six others will perform on stage as their stories are tweeted and streamed online (twitterfictionfestival.com).
- Does this surprise anyone?
Researchers from Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the Wharton School examined three entrepreneurial pitch competitions along with two controlled experiments. “[W]e find that investors prefer entrepreneurial pitches presented by male entrepreneurs compared with pitches presented by female entrepreneurs, even when the content of the pitch is the same,” they write. Good looking men were particularly persuasive, although physical appearance didn’t make a difference for women. This leads to what the researchers identify as “a profound and consistent gender gap in entrepreneurship.”
- Oldsters need not apply.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Fernghazi! Greg Dworkin: Peter Lanza profile, drop in health care prices, latest centrism/whatever tract, Boonstra debunked, and pols overestimate conservatism. More CIA vs. Senate. Ian Reifowitz on Rs & guns, and moving Ds left.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Laura Clawson
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 132 Recs
- To give voice to 35 workers killed on the job over the past 35 years at a massive refinery in Texas City, hundreds of surviving family members, co-workers and friends gathered there last month to ...4 comments 16 Recs
- Like many, I am watching the terrible events in Baltimore play out, and am also following the very disturbing details of Freddie Gray's death as they are revealed. I'm writing tonight because the ...114 comments 161 Recs
- Watching the discussion around the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) gives me a nasty sense of déjà vu. Long before joining AFGE, I worked as a food service worker, licensed practical nurse, and ...178 comments 204 Recs
- Americans across the political spectrum need to rise up and stop Fast Track now! The good news is that overwhelmingly House Democrats will vote No! The bad news is that lined up against them, and ...4 comments 13 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...59 comments 218 Recs
- This is no plea for pity for corporate kingpins like Walmart and McDonald’s inundated by workers’ demands for living wages. Raises would, of course, cost these billion-dollar corporations ...7 comments 17 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 178 Recs
- I’m going to write about community tonight, since it was my home when I first came to Daily Kos, and it’s my home now. Carnacki began Top Comments on June 14, 2006. He asked for diarists, I ...86 comments 52 Recs
- This week 40 groups—many of them focusing on rural and community-based responses to climate change— wrote Congress calling for the rejection ...12 comments 40 Recs