About 940,000 people selected Obamacare insurance plans in February, bringing to 4.2 million the total number of people opting for health coverage in the law’s insurance exchanges since the enrollment opened in October.An additional 4.4 million people have been found eligible for Medicaid and CHIP through state and federal marketplaces. So that's 8.6 million people the Republicans want to take health care away from.
About a quarter of the sign-ups over the first five months of enrollment were adults between ages 18 and 35 – a key demographic sought by insurers to help offset the cost of covering older, typically sicker enrollees. More than four in five people signing up qualified for subsidies through tax credits.
Women continued to enroll at a disproportionately higher rate than men – a 55-45 percent split. Nearly two-thirds of all sign-ups selected mid-level “silver” level plans that cover about 70 percent of their enrollees’ costs.
With open enrollment for Obamacare ending March 31, the administration has announced that it's much closer to its goal of 6 million enrollees. A healthy chunk of the 4.2 million applicants are aged 18-35.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
TXdem, eeff, exNYinTX, oceanview, Eyesbright, BentLiberal, flumptytail, deepeco, gchaucer2, rebel ga, ericlewis0, Onomastic, BarackStarObama, ratcityreprobate, kareylou, Auriandra, i saw an old tree today, ShoshannaD, nomandates, BelgianBastard, Chas 981, hbk
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Joan McCarter
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...103 comments 230 Recs
- Obamacare is such a failure, it can't even kill the jobs Republicans said it would!52 comments 97 Recs
- In Paraguay, a 10 year old girl was being raped by her step-father. Her mother reported the abuse to authorities but was ignored. The child's stomach began to swell and the mother, thinking ...24 comments 46 Recs
- Wow, Mitt Romney. Just wow. At a time when even many Republicans are pretending to care about ...71 comments 60 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...129 comments 133 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...135 comments 58 Recs
- Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco chief of staff Dan Bernal meets with Daily Kos, CREDO Action, Sum of Us, Electronic Frontier Foundation & Corporate Accountability ...14 comments 60 Recs
- Ho. Lee. Crap. Check out this press release from Florida Governor and Lord Voldemort impersonator Rick Scott:35 comments 51 Recs
- In a move which stunned many Court observers—certainly including me—the ...58 comments 62 Recs
- Johno Espejo (left) and Matthew Mansell, a plaintiff couple in the marriage equality case, being interviewed outside the Supreme Court.52 comments 73 Recs
Joan McCarter's Tags
- No current results.
Joan McCarter's Blogroll
- No current results.